26. Entering Personal Space

September 02, 01:12 P

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

September 02, 01:12 P.M.

"Appa! Fwast, we have to go." Soomin jumps in her chair, an excited glint in her eyes. The father smiles at his energetic daughter, an endearing smile gracing his lips.

"First eat up then we can leave." Haneul brings a piece of meat held between chopsticks to Soomin's mouth. Just yesterday she was sick but it's as if Haneul's promise to take her to the park boosted her recovery in the morning. He pats the girl's head and strokes her hair, tucking her locks behind her ear. She gobbles up her food, buzzing to leave their house.

Soomin is dressed in a pink plaid skirt and a black tee, denim jacket wrapped around her waist, just like the jacket her father is putting on, matched with black jeans. "Let's go, Minnie," Haneul calls the girl with a hand on the door handle, putting on his white Gucci loafers.

"One minute, appa! I will get my hair bwand."

Haneul chuckles at the child's eagerness and turns to the door, opening it. He jolts when a man falls at his feet, then quickly scrambles to his feet, blinking his eyes rapidly. The doctor gawks at the figure in front of him, his eyes wide. "...Why are you here again?"

The man sucks in a breath and presses his lips together giving no answer.

Haneul squints at the other's black attire, failing to understand if it's a fresh pair or the one he had worn last night. "Don't tell me..." he adds, observing the creases on his hoodie, messy hair, and the bags under his eyes. "...You were outside my door since last night?"

Dae Ho's brows shoot up, a hand clutching the side of his pants. "I-I j—"

"Are you out of your mind! The corridors get freezing in the middle of the night. How is a hoodie enough to— I mean, wasn't I explicit about staying away from my family?" Haneul clears his throat, mentally facepalming at the slip-up. "This is my last warning, leave before I call security." He sighs with a grimace.

Dae Ho chuckles, but it's void of humor. "Didn't think I'd be this revolting of a sight for you." He dips his head and looks through his thick lashes. "But I can't leave. Just let me be near, I'll be like a shadow, you'll not even see me, it'll be as if I'm never there. You have to believe me when I say there may be a threat to you."

"Why would anyone target me? I'll just hire a bodyguard then, you don't need to be here. I'll hire him not because I need one and believe you but because I don't want you here." Haneul's words are bitter but the younger doesn't relent. "What mess did you make this time? Why are you doing all this!"

"I don't know! I'm sorry, alright! I would never hurt your family. I didn't mean what I said to you in the basement. It was—"

"But your actions say otherwise. I'll never forget that day."

"I'm lost! I've been for a while now. Everything I try to hold, I crush it. I've been running a marathon for years with no direction, can't even stop to look at my surroundings and breathe. It's one thing after the other and I have lost sight of myself. When I left, I thought I was doing the right thing but here I am, as incompetent as I was years ago." Dae Ho puts his hands together in a plea. "Give me some time till I detangle myself from all this. I'll leave for good this time, never waste another second of your life. I'll disappear and know this time it really will be the end. So, please...just this once," he pleads. "Let me leave without regrets."