11. The Illusionary Reality

27 June, 12:49 P

27 June, 12:49 P.M.

"We'll remove your cast in two weeks," Haneul says, writing a prescription. "Take this pill once daily till then." He gives the paper to the patient, the man bowing and leaving his room.

"Why didn't Dajun call me until now? Minnie must've reached home by this time." The single father taps his mobile phone, the screen lighting up to show the time and no new notifications.

Soomin enrolled in school this year but the father couldn't pick up and drop her off every day, so he hired Dajun, a trained housekeeper, to help him with the task. She also cooked meals and took care of Soomin until Haneul got off work. As per Haneul's instructions, Dajun usually calls him every day informing him of their arrival back home. It isn't a necessity but it eases the doctor knowing his daughter was home safely with someone he trusted.

Haneul dials Dajun's number, bringing the cell phone to his ear. After a few rings, the woman picks up.

"Dajun-ssi, did you forget to call me today?"

"Ah, I'm sorry, Mr. Kim, but the car broke down in the middle and I had to take it to the repair shop. I'll be picking up Soomin I'm around twenty minutes. I did inform her teacher."

Haneul carves a hand through his hair with pinched brows. "So you're telling me my daughter has been waiting for more than thirty minutes already and you didn't think to inform me about it." The father knows he sounds harsh and disrespectful to the older woman but it's the least of his worries right now.

"I-I didn't think it'd take thi—"

The woman's voice tunes out when he remembers something.

"...no one can guarantee your family's safety."

Dae Ho's words are as clear as day even after a week, making their way into Haneul's mind without any prior notice. He stands up abruptly, his heartbeat picking up speed. "Forget it, I'll go and get her myself." He pockets his phone and bursts out of the door.

"Dr. Kim, your next patient is her—"

"I'm sorry, give them a new appointment. Something came up, I need to leave."

"But—"

With that, the doctor rushes out of the hospital, still wearing his white coat and stethoscope around his neck. He violates a few traffic rules on the way, lips moving in prayer for his daughter's safety.

The car comes to a halt with a screech and Haneul immediately walks into the school with long steps. The walls of the elementary school are painted with animals, bright colors making the building lively. It has three floors, with the KG classes on the ground, and a large playground is set up behind the building for the students to enjoy their lunch break. Haneul easily steers through the corridors, knowing where Soomin's class is located. He holds the metal handle and peeks into the class through the door glass. His heart drops when he looks at the empty room.