37. Close to the Mark

A heavy concrete wall

A heavy concrete wall. That's what it feels like is placed on him. The mattress under him is soft but his chest feels heavy. His head is swirling, his mind clouded with everything and nothing in particular. It's been three weeks since ChangMin's death and Dae Ho knows he's coping better than he expected. Yes, most of the time he drowns himself in blame and shame but manages to pull out before hurting himself. A distraction often helps him, just like now, the ping of his mobile phone.

Dae Ho groans and runs a hand over his bed to reach for the device. He already knows the recipient of the message since the man is relentless.

 He already knows the recipient of the message since the man is relentless

Dae Ho lets out an involuntary chuckle, rolling his eyes. The doctor has been messaging him almost daily, sending morning messages with memes and emojis that hurt his eyes, and occasionally calling to check up on him. Dae Ho wonders how Haneul could be this easygoing after all he's done. He doesn't deserve the care and affection. The man not only bought food for him the first day, but he also stocked his fridge up with them.

Dae Ho gets up from the bed and takes a shower, styling his hair and wearing presentable clothes, a black polo with washed-out jeans and a leather jacket. It's been years since he's visited the Kim estate. He's nervous, although Haneul had assured him his parents wouldn't be home. Dae Ho doesn't know how he'd face the older couple since they had treated him like family. Kim Yoona even insisted he dropped the formalities when they weren't at work and call her eomma. The command was odd but he got used to it months before he disappeared. The ex-model couldn't bear the sight of Kim Jinwook in his early encounters but came to respect the man after he apologized for his behavior towards him.

Dae Ho wipes his hands on his jeans and dismounts his bike, removing the helmet and combing his hair with his fingers. "Let's do this," he whispers to himself before he enters the gates of the mansion. The place is as pleasant to the eye as he remembers. Various flowers on either side of the path leading to the main house, fountains sitting in the middle of the front yard, and lion statues near the entrance.

Taking in a long breath, Dae Ho rings the bell, his hands slipping into his pockets. A woman in a maid's uniform bows curtly as she opens the door. "You must be the young master's guest, please come in." She makes way for Dae Ho and leads him towards the guest room. He sits on the sofa but it gets awkward when the girl stares at him wordlessly. "U-umm, I need your jacket so I can hang it."