36. Birth of a New Master

"Why don't you go and live with Jisoo and your parents?" Haneul asks, folding his legs and sitting in Indian style

"I may sound ungrateful but I feel uncomfortable if I stay for long. It's just that they want Han Heesoo, the son they lost to the ocean waves, not someone like me, a criminal and awkwardly disoriented son. I know they're a bit careful around me when I visit." Dae Ho confesses, his eyes trained on the empty lunch boxes placed on the coffee table. His parents are wonderful people, there's no denying it but he couldn't form a bond with them as he did with Minji's family or even Haneul's, an emotional connection. He feels incomplete or that he's been accepted because of the blood they share. But if ever a time comes where he'd have to put his life on the line for them, he'd do it without much of a thought.

"Oh, no I understand."

"And I don't have an aim and reason for living. Yeah, finding Vee and whoever was involved in causing Minji's death has been my goal for years but it's just an excuse for my helplessness, to suppress the nagging voice that I'm quite useless. After it's done, I don't even want to think about the future. There isn't anything for me."

"Then we find it."

"Find what?" Dae Ho questions the determined look Haneul is wearing.

"We'll find a reason for you to live, together. You're not alone. After you're done with putting Vee in his place we can do that."

The idealistic and adequately put together words manage to create a ray of hope in Dae Ho, but he has learned to put a lid on it before it reaches far. Expectations don't bode well with him nor does he want to look forward to something normal when he's not sure if the voices in his head will let him be at peace. It's beyond him as to why Haneul tries, after all that's been happening between them. It's a constant push and pull, their thoughts and emotions all over the place.

"Are you not going to stop me?"

"That piece of shit killed Minji mercilessly so why should I care if whatever you're going to do to him is right or wrong?" Haneul says with finality, his hands balling into fists, knuckles turning white.

"Will you hand me over to the authorities for my crimes after that?"

"What!" Haneul's head snaps to the fighter, his eyes wide. "I-I don't k—"

"But that is the right thing to do." Dae Ho adds.

"I-I just want you to...heal your scars before anything."

Dae Ho needs to hear an affirmation to ground himself. He needs to remind Haneul he is sitting next to a man who has the blood of many on his hands, someone he must be wary of instead of welcoming him like an old friend. It's a constant conflict not giving in to his self-destructive urges and being reeled into what Haneul wants. It's frustrating how the doctor still knows him inside out.

"I'd probably get a life sentenc— no, I'd be hanged for the numerous crimes I committed. Then there's no need for healing then, is there?" Dae Ho speaks truthfully with nonchalance.