10. Promises Honored, No More

"

"...no matter what happens, I'll never kill a person. One line I wouldn't cross is taking a person's life, I promise..."

The words Dae Ho spoke years ago, ring in Haneul's head as falls to his knees, a shaky hand pressing against his mouth to stifle the sudden need to throw up. He takes short breaths, his heartbeat thundering erratically, blurry eyes focused on the bloody body near him. Dae Ho had swiftly turned his arm and changed the trajectory, firing at the tied-up man who had been yelling profanities at him. The gun that was supposed to shoot Haneul, took a different life. He crawls over and presses his hands on the man's chest to stop the blood flow. "...d-do some...s-something...he's d-dying!"

"He's dead," Dae Ho's cold tone sends shudders down the blue-haired man's body.

"Please!" the doctor agonizes, his hands already stained with the warm liquid. "Dae, help him! I'm begging you!"

The man next to the dead body lets out a whimper, his wide eyes full of fear. "D-don't kill m-me, ple-please...I'll tell you whatever you want to know!"

Haneul stares in bewilderment at the scene that has unfolded, still trying to grasp the situation he's brought himself into. He's lost count of people dying right in front of him, but seeing someone getting shot, is completely new. He closes the dead man's eyes and lays him on the ground, eyes stinging with unshed tears. The fact that it's Park Dae Ho who pulled the trigger, pains him, sending his mind spiraling as to what all he's been doing in the past years. He slowly stands up, hands still unsteady and legs weak. "...why?" he whispers, meeting Dae Ho's bored eyes. "Why did you kill him!"

Haneul lurches forward and fists the fighter's collar, blood marring the soft material, yanking the sturdy man. "You said you'd never kill anyone, would never cross that line!" he shouts gritting his teeth. "So, tell me why would you kill a man in cold blood! Without even batting an eye!" He shakes him vigorously with all the strength he can muster.

"You're dirtying my collar, let go," that is all Dae Ho says, Haneul's expression contorting into a disbelieving one.

"...what?" He gives an unblinking stare, a rush of adrenaline taking over. The doctor slowly loosens his grip, not before landing a hard punch to Dae Ho's face. "Damn you!"

The younger falls to the ground but quickly recovers from the blow. He spits blood from his mouth, wiping it with his fingers. "Didn't know you could pack a punch like that." He claps with amusement, the sound echoing in the basement. "And what promise are you talking about? The promise I made to you was years ago, means nothing now."

"Have you lost your mind?" Haneul fumes at Dae Ho's indifference. "You just killed someone!"

"And I've killed many more!"

The blue-haired man stills, sucking in a sharp breath, blood rushing in his ears and jaw tensing. "H-how...could you sa—"

"—We were worlds apart before and we always will be. Is it that hard for you to understand? You try saving lives daily and I kill for a living. Ironic, isn't it? This ill-fated relationship was doomed since the start."