19. Their Bruised Love

22 August, 9:49 P

22 August, 9:49 P.M.

"Eomma!" Soomin runs to the woman perched on an armchair, a laptop sitting on her thighs. "Can you tie her hair?" She holds out a doll with unruly blonde hair and a plastic comb.

"One minute, Soomin. I'm busy," the mother replies reaching for the papers placed on the table in front of her.

Soomin tugs at Naeun's shirt, shaking her head. "Do it now."

"Ugh," the woman groans. "Why are you so stubborn?" She takes the doll and starts braiding its hair without combing it first.

Being under the shadow of her older brother, Shin Naeun has always been a woman after power and a hunger to be recognized. Settling down with a man was never her plan but after her grandfather offered her the position she desired at the company, she agreed to his condition without hesitation. Naeun pursued Kim Haneul till the man looked at her as if she hung stars in the sky.

"Here." The mother places the doll in Soomin's hands. "Now, stop disturbing me. You can go eat something."

Naeun would admit the beginning of her and Haneul's relationship had been a breeze, the man knowing well how to treat his other half. She was happy but at times she didn't feel complete, he couldn't fill the void of success that kept calling out to her. Haneul was a man right out of the dreams of a woman. But both of them wanted different things and they collided. Haneul wanted to raise a family but she didn't want to be tied. Conflicts between them worsened with the arrival of their children. And divorce was the best course of action for both of them.

"Can I eat some candwy?" Soomin points at the bowl of treats placed on the table.

"Sure."

The little girl hops happily, picking out candies with both her hands. "Eomma! This is Uncle Jiswoo's." She raises the energy bar in her left. "He gave this to me before."

"Han Jisoo?" Naeun tilts her head, squinting.

Soomin nods her head. "I played with him evewy day at home."

The mother raises a brow, why is Jisoo living at their place? At first, it was Park Dae Ho wherever Haneul was, before he dropped from the face of the earth and her then-husband was crushed. When the doctor cares for someone, he does it with all his heart. It would be a lie to say the incident didn't dent their already disturbed marriage. In the months Haneul had been swamped with finding out what happened to Dae Ho and his sister, Naeun felt neglected as if she wasn't his priority. How could he do that to her when the two missing people weren't even his family like she was. And now Han Jisoo, what did he want?

Two loud knocks grab Naeun's attention from her thoughts. "Mr. Kim is here for Soomin." The head maid informs with a slight bow.

"Alright, send him in."

Naeun combs her ombré hair with her fingers, pulling down her shirt with her palms, smoothening the creases. She needed to show Haneul she could carry herself well even without his support.