39. An Unusual Usual Day

Dae Ho wants to punch the proud smile Haneul is wearing as if he's accomplished something worthwhile by being at his doorstep at this time

Dae Ho wants to punch the proud smile Haneul is wearing as if he's accomplished something worthwhile by being at his doorstep at this time. He's in no mood to entertain the man after today's events. Shin Beom couldn't wait for a few hours before dying so Dae Ho could extort information from him and then Shin Naeun had the audacity to act so crudely.

"Oh! Before I forget," Haneul snaps his fingers and retrieves something from his pocket. "You left this at the club," he says dropping the items in Dae Ho's hand.

The wallet and keys the fighter was going back to get that day but was hit from behind and the rest was history. Why would Haneul hold onto them till now? It's been more than four years! The man keeps baffling Dae Ho all the time now. He maintains a stoic face and rolls his eyes, placing the things on the console and locking the door behind him. "You should have thrown them, didn't know you had place for useless items in your home."

"Are you crazy? You had that keychain since you were a kid and your wallet has all your important cards. What was I supposed to do when you'd come to me asking for them someday?" Haneul retorts pressing the elevator button. "Just because things can be dispensable doesn't mean you should throw them out."

"Whatever. Just climb on." Dae Ho mounts his bike after they enter the parking lot, throwing a helmet at Haneul. "This is the last time you're pulling something like this. Next time you stay away from me."

The doctor hums in reply, giving no real answer. The roaring of the motorbike's rev fills the space, and the duo takes off immediately. "You're going to kill us both! Drive properly!" Haneul nags, his hands coming up to the said man's shoulders to support himself.

"Do you want to get off?"

"Shut up and keep going," the bluehead warns with a scoff.

And about half an hour later, they reach the hospital. The building is still intact but rusty, seems as if it could topple over anytime soon. The white paint is covered in soot and green vines, an eerie aura surrounding it. The board of the hospital is half burnt, one of the sides loosely hanging onto its screws.

"Do you still want to come inside?" Dae Ho asks as he pulls out his mobile phone and turns on the flashlight.

"S-sure..." Haneul offers a wavering smile and moves to follow the other's actions, walking in with shaky steps.

The interior of the hospital is no better. Ash imprints on the walls and dusty items overpower the place, plastic wrappers, and glass shards crushing under their feet. The sounds of crickets make it seem like they're in a thriller movie, coupled with the lack of light. The two move in further, searching for the lab Haneul's grandfather had mentioned.

"Harabeoji said the research center was located underground. The way to it is going through the lab on the ground floor. A trap door is located under one of the cabinets." The doctor announces, reading the board that directs the laboratories towards the right hallway.