9. The Bullet of No Return

9 June, 10:27 A

9 June, 10:27 A.M.

"...Haneul helped you break through your shell. Let him in."

"...he's looking for closure, I don't know what happened on the night you disappeared, but he blames himself for it."

Dae Ho slumps into the leather chair, his eyes fixed on the wall clock. For years, he's avoided Haneul like a plague, hoping to never see the man after he had promised himself to stay away from the doctor and not to involve him more than he already was. But the odds aren't in his favor. They never have been. One incident has led Haneul back into his life, making Dae Ho uneasy. "I need to do something about this," the fighter mutters, a quiver rising in his stomach. It's unnerving to not have the reins of his fate in his hands.

Choi Yoon constantly talking about Haneul irks Dae Ho, almost making him want to fire the hacker and find someone new. He's been using a new strategy to soften him for Haneul, blabbering about his current days or about Dae Ho's memories with him. Be it a casual conversation or in the middle of planning, he doesn't fail to bring the doctor up. Dae Ho has warned him but the other repeats the cycle even after he agrees to keep shut about Haneul. He knows what Pandora is trying to do, but Dae Ho will make sure Haneul stays away.

"You leave me no choice." Dae Ho sighs, trying to come up with a plausible scenario where Kim Haneul would cut himself off from him completely without any further persuasion.

━━━━━━✦❪✥❫✦━━━━━━

17 June, 11:56 A.M.

"Mr. Kim, are you still uncomfortable with dating again?"

Haneul shakes his head. "I'm not worried about that anymore," he replies meeting the eyes of his therapist. The room is as cozy as it could get, always feeling comfortable under the soft golden light and the warm shades of sky blue and cream colors on the walls blending and giving him a serene and calming feeling. The psychologist sits with a paper pad and pen in his lap, noting down important points to go over later.

Haneul takes a sip out of his almost-finished coffee, the one Mr. Jung always offers in his sessions. "I'm thankful you've helped me through this. But for now, I'd like to focus more on myself and Soomin. If destiny allows it, I'll find the one who'd want to stay with me for a long time. I'll let things happen naturally, and even if I don't find anyone, oh well." Haneul shrugs with a smile. If someone had asked him the same question months ago, he'd have hesitated and later beaten himself up for not being enough.

"I'm proud of how far you've come," the man gives a small smile, moving his spectacles over the bridge of his nose. "For our next session, I want you to do something that used to make you happy. Something you enjoyed doing but had to stop because of Naeun. Is there anything you'd like to try again?"

"Hmm." Haneul tilts his head with a pensive expression. He ponders upon the question, there have been many things he altered or stopped because of his ex-wife, but now nothing is holding him back. "I used to love dying my hair!" The doctor quips when it clicks.