25. Exchange at a Price

"She's Seonho's wife

"She's Seonho's wife...?" Choi Yoon has his mouth agape, eyes on the woman with sharp features, raven hair styled into a bob cut. "Didn't you know she was Chinese?"

"No...I've never met her..." Dae Ho says in awe, his eyebrows drawing together. "Nor have I ever seen a picture of her. As far as I remember, she passed away giving birth to Minji."

"According to her details, she was a lab technician at Seoul Army Hospital for eight years." Pandora types in the hospital name on Google, and a few links load on the screen. "That's interesting." He chuckles reading through the news article. "The hospital burned down almost twenty-two years ago, killing all patients and staff. Apparently, the cause was a gas leak."

Dae Ho inspects the photos of the hospital pensively, a pen flipping between his fingers, foot tapping restlessly. "Does this relate to Park Juri in any way?"

"Yes, she was one of the victims. The hospital burned its victims to a crisp but the building still stands, more likely, the hospital's skeleton."

With the newly acquired information, Dae Ho wrings himself into a more complicated web of deceit and secrets. If Minji's mother was involved in whatever Seonho had hidden, then it would be years of information they'd have to dig up. There's only one place they could start their search for answers from. "Let's check out the hospital for any clues then."

"Are you serious? Didn't you hear the part where it said the place was engulfed in flames?"

"I know, but we don't have any other lead. We could ask around the premises of the hospital if they know any staff who survived."

The three men sit in silence, the gears in their heads turning. It's been years since the tragic incident and perhaps clawing out the root of the mess Park Seonho had created would satiate Dae Ho's unending thirst for blood. Maybe he'd reach a fulfilling end after bringing Minji justice and putting her soul to peace. Although, there's no guarantee Dae Ho will break the shackles of the past that bind him.

"We will sta—"

The ping of the elevator interrupts Dae Ho, a bald man entering the space with a white envelope. "Boss, we received this in the morning today."

Dae Ho takes the envelope and tears the top, dropping a card in his palm. His eyes widen slightly at the words written and the tremble of his fingers dies as soon as it appears, anger boiling at the pit of his stomach. He stands up, his breathing shallow, teeth grinding against each other. "Why wasn't this brought to me when it arrived!" he bellows, crushing the card in his hand.

"What is it?" Shadow pries the card out of the fighter's grip, smoothening out the creases.

You save some, you lose some :)

The words are written in red print, signed by none other but Vee, the very man locked up in their basement. "What the..."

Dae Ho shoves the bald man and flounces over to the room Vee is held in, eyes flinty, heat flushing throughout his body. His hands are clenched into tight fists, veins popping at the sudden rage. "What is the meaning of this!" He slams open the metal door. "Tell me before I fill your head with bullets!"