40. Anger Issues & Discoveries

As instructed, Haneul watches—no, glares at the man struggling in front of him

As instructed, Haneul watches—no, glares at the man struggling in front of him. He folds his arms over his chest and taps his foot on the floor restlessly, eyeing the way Dae Ho is biting on a roll of gauze while digging his wound with a pair of forceps to find the bullet that punctured him. He hisses in pain but sends a warning look to the doctor when he tries helping him again.

"Stop acting like a child!"

Dae Ho ignores him and a minute later pulls out the bullet drenched in red, throwing it on the table in front of him and sinking into the sofa with heavy breaths. He stays in place as some of the blood drips down his arm and then to the cushion. After recovering himself, the younger cleans the wound and sprays alcohol over it, taking a medical stapler to close the wound.

"Wha— no, seriously!" Haneul throws his hands in the air in defeat. "I can stitch up the wound for you, I'm here for a reason!"

"Be quiet," Dae Ho simply says and wraps his injury in a band-aid, albeit somewhat lousily.

"For the love of the universe! Why are you doing this?" The bluehead thunders in frustration, pacing around the fighter.

Dae Ho's head is heavy, the incidents from the day playing over and over again. One particular event overshadowing others is Minji's death. The scene is fresh at the back of his mind, the sounds of cries making him want to lose control and scream into a void. He can't keep up with what's happening around him and needs a breather. Only if Haneul left him in peace but no. "I need you to leave now," Dae Ho comments, standing up from the couch.

"Not before you let me treat that wound first."

"I already did the necessary process, ChangMin-ssi will come and do the rest. I don't need your charity."

Haneul goes silent and doesn't retort with a statement of his own until Dae Ho meets his eyes. "ChangMin-ssi is gone...he's dead. Has been for a month now." His voice isn't mocking or taunting in any way but something snaps in the fighter.

ChangMin is dead.

Minji is dead.

Haneul would've died.

Dead people. Because of him.

Minji is dead. Because of him.

ChangMin is dead. Because of him.

Haneul will—

"Shut up!" Dae Ho yells and holds his head in his hands. "Shut up!"

"Dae—"

"I said shut up!" And before he knows it, Dae Ho's fist collides with Haneul's jaw, not giving the latter to recover, landing his next punches. Haneul falls to the ground and Dae Ho grabs him by the neck of his hoodie. He's in a zone, sort of like when he had the night terror.