3. Holding Back Scars

March 15, 12:07 A

March 15, 12:07 A.M.

One sip. Two sips.

The liquid burns his throat, the all too familiar sensation feeling like nothing but home. The presence of the bottle has been something constant in his life over the last four years. Is the drink a true companion or a slow poison? He knows it is the latter, but his hand cannot help but hold onto the neck of the glass bottle.

The man in a charcoal tank top and joggers looks up when a knock is heard on the door. "I've something to report," calls a voice from outside.

Bullet puts the bottle back on the nightstand and moves to sit on the leather couch adjacent to his bed. "You can come in."

The said male enters and closes the door behind him, his hand holding a folder. His baggy clothes overshadow his already small figure, his pale skin illuminating his dirty blonde hair even more.

"I just got information that the shipment will be leaving tomorrow at midnight, instead of next week," Shadow informs, handing the folder to the other.

"Looks like Kyung is restless to transfer the drugs out of the country. Get seven men ready, we need to speed up the plan. The earlier we get the goods, the faster we can sell them."

"Alright..."

"Is there anything else you need?" Bullet asks when Shadow doesn't leave the room.

"Not really. But you know you can talk to me if there's anything on your mind, Dae Ho," Shadow says, tearing his eyes away from the bottle on the nightstand.

The older man's tone isn't judging but it hits an irritated chord in him. Shadow means well but Dae Ho cannot handle the expectations that come along with love and care. His mental state has been worse in the last few weeks, especially after the accidental encounter with who most probably was Haneul's daughter. He couldn't get the image of the girl's eyes and smile that resembled her father's. He kept himself away from them, knowing their involvement would soften the wounds he burns with. That is why, he doesn't need Shadow to invade his personal space.

"Chang Min-ssi, we only have a professional relationship, that's all. I don't have time to waste chatting with members of the group." Dae Ho bites with gritted teeth. He doesn't need anyone to pity him and be there to help him. He can handle himself just as he has been for years now.

"You're not just a member to me, you already know that. You should open up, maybe not to me but at least to someone else."

Dae Ho shuts his eyes and taps his foot on the floor. "Please leave, I need to sleep."

Shadow clicks his tongue with a pinched expression, his eyebrows furrowing. "More like waste yourself with that poison." He exits the room, closing the door with a loud thud.

Dae Ho presses his lips together in a slight grimace, hands coming up to his face and elbows supporting on his knees. He stays in the position for a while, till he gets up and drops himself on the bed. He opens the nightstand drawer, grabs a cigarette from the pack, and lights it, placing the stick between his lips and finally grabbing the alcohol bottle once again.