22. A Glimpse of the Old Times

With a loud screech, the car takes off

With a loud screech, the car takes off. Dae Ho runs his tongue over his teeth with a stiff body posture, one hand resting on the door panel, and Haneul taps his foot anxiously, wringing his hands together and pulling at the seatbelt with his thumb. They drive past a few vehicles, Vee's car coming into view. "Haneul," Dae Ho says removing his earpiece and handing it over to the doctor. "Give Yoon a description of the car."

Haneul nods animatedly and puts in the device. "Yoon, the car is a Hyundai Aslan, and it's number plate," he moves to the front to get a better look. "It's 64 거 1276."

"Okay, I'll see if I can pin it down."

Haneul turns to Dae Ho, who is clutching the steering wheel tightly, brows pinched together. He takes a sharp turn, throwing off Haneul. "Hey! Drive properly."

"I already told you this wa—"

"As I suspected, the plate is fake." Choi Yoon cuts in. "Boss, keep chasing it closely."

"Damn it!" Dae Ho slams his fist, a short horn being honked. "Haneul, you better buckle up, this is going to get bumpy."

And Haneul's eyes shoot open in horror.

"There's a red box in the dashboard, take it out."

Haneul does as he's told. He opens the box to reveal a few spherical, button-like objects.

"Tap the tracker twice to switch it on and aim it at Vee's car then throw it, make sur—"

"Are you crazy? How will I do that?" Haneul gasps, "we're not in a movie."

"Just do it, Haneul," Dae Ho groans rolling his eyes. "Don't you rich people go to the shooting ranges for fun?"

"Those aren't moving targets and I'm no pro at that either."

"If you don't want me to kick you out right now, throw the damn thing!" The younger glowers, speeding up the car. "That rat will get away and I can't let that happen."

Perhaps it is the adrenaline rush or an unconscious familiarity the two hadn't noticed, falling into their usual series of bantering. For the moment, Park Dae Ho isn't a man who kills people to move forward nor is Haneul a doctor who saves lives, but a duo out to catch someone who'd taken away a loved one from them and a potential threat.

"Alright, alright." Haneul puts his hands up in surrender. He lowers the window and unbuckles his seatbelt, twisting his upper body through the space. Cold air slaps his face, hair flying in every direction. Haneul fears he'd fall if Dae Ho doesn't stop driving rashly. He holds the door for support and closes one eye, trying to get a good look at Vee's car. He throws the tracker but no luck. It falls on the road and another car crushes it.

He tries again but fails.

"Ah...well—"

"Steer the wheel." Dae Ho orders, picking another tracker from Haneul.