28. Heart on a Sleeve

"D-Dae—st-stop

"D-Dae—st-stop..." Haneul croaks, his words broken as his windpipe crushes under the pressure of the man's hold. He hooks his fingers on Dae Ho's, trying to peel them away from him. But the fighter is stronger, always has been. "I—I can't...b-breathe!"

Dae Ho is in a raging zone, his eyes unfocused, tears dropping onto Haneul's face. "Just die!" He repeats like a worn-out recorder, his night terror not being ended, still living through it right now.

Blood runs through Haneul's face, the lack of oxygen rendering him dizzy, the image of a ferocious Dae Ho in front of him starting to blur. His torso is trapped under the other man's weight, unable to flip their positions. The doctor loosens his grip on Dae Ho's fingers and reaches for the mobile phone lying by the pillow. He grabs it and swings it across the fighter's head with force, hitting him, the man jerking to the side a bit. He doesn't waste time mustering all of his strength and then kicking Dae Ho hard in the abdomen, successfully flinging him off the bed, and crashing into the cabinet.

Haneul is thrown into a coughing fit, gasping for air as he rubs his aching neck. "Yo-you almost—killed me!" He pants with heavy breaths, wiping the tears off his face.

Dae Ho is then brought out of his episode, eyes confused, creases forming on his forehead. He stares at his shaky hands, head snapping to look at Haneul's neck, the redness sending him into a state of panic. "I-I...I d-didn't—" He holds his hair and pulls on it, breathing shallowly, his chest rising and falling in an erratic rhythm. "I—I'm sor—I was—" he chokes on his words, lungs constricting and tears spilling once again.

Haneul flinches at the reaction, his heartbeat fastening a tad bit. He schools his features and jumps off the bed, holding onto Dae Ho's shoulders firmly. "It's alright, it's alright. Nothing happened," he assures the younger, shaking him lightly. "Dae Ho, I want you to focus on my voice." He moves the fighter backward trying to make him look at him. "Whatever it was, it was just a dream. I'm safe. You're safe." Haneul doesn't know where the words come from but they feel like the right ones. "You can get through this, I want you to take in long breaths. Focus on my voice and breathe."

Haneul coaxes Dae Ho into calming down, a technique he sometimes used for his panicking patients. "It's alright now, I'm proud of you," he says when the fighter drops his hands and starts to breathe at a normal pace.

There's a comfortable silence settling between the two for a moment, Dae Ho wiping his face with his sleeve and sweeping back his sticky hair. "...thank you...really."

Haneul sighs loudly, moving away and resting his back at the side of the bed. He still doesn't speak, a hand soothing up his throat.

Dae Ho stands up after recovering completely from his panicky state. "I...I'll leave now. I'm sorry..."

"For what?"