34. Through the Highs & Lows

"Good morning, Dajun-ssi," Haneul greets his housekeeper, settling on the dining table to have his breakfast

"Good morning, Dajun-ssi," Haneul greets his housekeeper, settling on the dining table to have his breakfast. "Please make sure Soomin eats well before going to school."

"Of course, Mr. Kim," the salt and pepper-haired woman smiles, placing a plate with club sandwiches in front of the doctor.

"My friend has been staying over for a few days so could you make breakfast for him? Although, he may wake up late today."

"But I saw him leaving in a rush an hour ago."

Haneul tilts his head. "Really?" He whispers to himself. Dae Ho hadn't said anything about leaving last night and as far as he remembers, the conversation cleared up many matters and the fighter looked content too. It's not like Dae Ho answers to Haneul but he could've at least dropped a message about leaving. He dismisses the thought of contacting him since he didn't want to come out as he is overreacting and there are still things he needs to think about.

Dae Ho has gone through a lot, Haneul isn't sure he'd survive if he was in the former's place, and maybe his actions are justified in some way but it doesn't change the fact that he's a criminal. Haneul had witnessed the man kill someone right in front of his eyes. He was threatened even though Dae Ho promised he didn't mean any of it but the doctor can't help the uneasy feeling that creeps whenever he's reminded of it. Hell, he's still wary of Dae Ho. The life the fighter lives is marred with the blood of others and other criminal activities. Haneul is not sure how he's supposed to overlook all of it.

The doctor goes on about his daily routine, closing off any thoughts relating to Dae Ho until it's four days since he's heard from him.

'I asked you not to be a stranger.' He messages the younger when he leaves his workplace, pressing the button on the car remote to unlock his vehicle. He drops his coat on the shotgun seat and is about to slide in when a voice calls him.

"Haneul, can we talk?"

Haneul turns to the man behind him, brows drawing together at spotting the florist. "Yoon?"

"There's something I'd like you to know. It's important." Yoon presses his lips into a thin line. "But I believe it's better if we find a place first."

And half an hour later, the two find themselves in the park near Haneul's apartment. The winter season has already started and it's always a pleasure to enjoy the cool before it gets too harsh. Warm coffee with hot and spicy food refreshes one and fills them with satisfaction. Children playing and parents talking something that never ceases to change in the park, no matter what season or time it is.

"By now you must have understood that Dae Ho...isn't really in the right mindset, he's mentally unstable." Yoon starts, wrying his hands together. "And trust me, I don't want you to get involved with him at all, with our worlds being apart, it's the right thing. But you're the only one he has now, someone he considers family."