31. Renewing Losses

"Aren't you disappointed in me?" Dae Ho asks, tucking Soomin under the comforter, moving the strands covering her eyes to put them behind her ear

Haneul replies with a shake of his head.

"Not even a little bit?" Dae Ho pushes, unsure of the doctor's answer.

"Disappointed? No, not really. It's more like..."
Haneul ponders, fingers drumming against his thigh. "It's more like I want to punch you across the face a few times."

Dae Ho is taken aback, a laugh escaping his lips. "Are you sure you're not deluding villainy with hero-complex?"

"Never mind that, instead of dwelling on the negative aspects of your life, you should look at the brighter side."

"That's easier said than done."

Haneul shakes his head. "You probably disregard the nice things you've done since you've fallen in your own eyes."

"Nice things?" Dae Ho gives the doctor a disbelieving look, challenging if he could prove him wrong.

"Yeah, for example, you saved Choi Yoon's life when he was at his worst."

"I didn't save him out of the goodness of my cursed heart, but because I needed his technical skills."

"Do you really think I'm going to buy that crap?" Haneul throws him a glare with a scoff. "Even so, you saved him."

"..."

Dae Ho wasn't lying about needing Choi Yoon's skills. He stalked the man for months but when witnessed Yoon lose his mother and be betrayed by his father, he saw himself in him. A lonely and vulnerable soul asking someone to put off the blazing fire in his chest before he turns to ashes. Ending their life when they couldn't turn to anyone was an easy and worthwhile decision at the moment. And Dae Ho couldn't help but reach out to the man standing on the roof of the tall building.

"I tried killing myself a few times." Dae Ho admits, Haneul wincing at the admission. "But every time I attempted to do it, I saw Minji's face. Not the bloody and tearful one I see in my dreams, but the content smile she gave in her last moments. Live..." The fighter intertwines his fingers together, his throat turning dry. "That one word has an overwhelming power over me and I can't bring myself to disappoint Minji anymore than I have."

"D-do you still feel like...doing it?" Haneul's words are cautious, his tone soft.

Dae Ho's silence gives him his answer so the doctor purses his lips together. The younger is like a shattered mirror and shattered mirrors still have cracks even after being put together, incomplete due to the pieces lost when shattering. But a glued-up cracked mirror is better to have than the one that's lying fallen apart on the floor. Haneul thanks Minji for looking over her brother all these years even after she's no more.

"You could seek hel—"

"I'm not going to a therapist. You're not the first person to suggest it so let it go."