33. Falling into Old Habits

The cold winter wind engulfs Dae Ho, sending an electric chill up his spine

The cold winter wind engulfs Dae Ho, sending an electric chill up his spine. He pulls the lapels of his jacket but still lacks warmth. He finds himself standing on top of a skyscraper when the fog clears, the roofs of other buildings in sight. His shoes are half on the edge of the ledge of the building, a little push and he's done for. The fighter takes a step back, a voice startling him.

"It's terrifying, isn't it?" ChangMin chuckles and takes a peek below. "Only the brave ones can jump. Can you do it, kid?" He has a shit-eating grin plastered, eyes mocking Dae Ho.

"ChangMi—"

The man in question jerks abruptly, his head bowing, hands clutching his side. "I-I'm scared," he whimpers raising his head, a patch of red forming over the place he was stabbed. "Dae Ho, h-help me. It's either I fall from here or die because of this wound."

Dae Ho stills when two hands come to hold his face, painting it with sticky crimson liquid.

"Please die for me!" ChangMin cries, incessant tears cascading down his cheeks, his cold hands moving to the fighter's neck, choking him.

Dae Ho struggles for air, fingers coming up to pry the other's hands away, trying to break free but ChangMin is stronger.

"I want to live!" ChangMin pushes him, and Dae Ho balances with one foot on the edge. His lips turn a shade of blue due to the cold and shortage of oxygen, head swirling in spirals. "D-Dae Ho, please..."

"Ch-ChangMin, st-stop!" Dae Ho uses his full strength and flips their positions, but ChangMin isn't lucky enough. He falls off the building, his tear-stained face turning into a shocked one.

"No!" Dae Ho jolts awake, breathing heavily, clothes and hair clinging to his sweaty body. He brings a hand to his neck and soothes it, then covers his face with his palms and sighs. He stays in the position till he breathes at a normal pace, fingers carding through his somewhat damp and sticky hair.

Dae Ho doesn't remember the last time he slept in complete darkness, always having a lit room till he passed out. His stomach growls with a burning sensation, courtesy of only drinking alcohol rather than consuming the right food. He stands up from his bed, eyes taking in his surroundings. Clothes splayed everywhere except the cloth bin and wardrobe, empty glass bottles, and takeaway food cartons thrown near his bed. When he proceeds to the living room, it isn't in a better condition either. The five-seater sofa set and coffee table are littered with similar trash stored in his bedroom.

Dae Ho was a man who prioritized his hygiene and the environment he lived in. But since Minji's death, nothing seems to interest him nor does he have to motivation to care about such trivialities. There are times he cleans his apartment but it doesn't take long till it reverts to its untidy state.