21. A Game of Cat & Mouse

24 August, 9:05 A

24 August, 9:05 A.M.

"Before we get our hands on Vee, I have a proposal I'd like you both to pay attention to." Choi Yoon slaps a pile of papers on the coffee table with a proud smile.

"And what would that be?" Shadow arches an eyebrow, sipping his green tea.

"I don't have time for entertainment, Pandora." Dae Ho crosses his arms with a pinched expression. "Find me Vee."

"Relax, this is something even you'll be interested in. I urge you both to invest in this." Choi Yoon gives a lopsided smile, intertwining his fingers together. "I want to... I want to open an orphanage."

Shadow stops his cup midway, Dae Ho squinting at the man in front of them. "You want to what?"

"At the auction, they sold children because they had no place to return to. For kids such as these, we can provide a haven. A safe place that'll nourish them and let children a step closer to their dreams. Wouldn't something like this make us proud of ourselves? We're bound to leave this line of work someday and start living normal lives again right? We can't forever be soaking our hands in the dirt like this." Pandora's voice lowers with each sentence as if trying to convince himself. "We at least don't kill innocent people so this could be a sort of salvation for us."

"Yoon..."

"I already asked you to leave if you wanted, no one forced you to stay. We're as twisted as those people too." Dae Ho snaps, gritting his teeth together. "You think there's redemption for sinners like us if we start managing an orphanage?" The fighter clenches his jaw, spitting. "The only way we'll leave this hellhole is through death, there's no coming back from this. What you're trying for is nothing but fantasy, a Will-o'-the-Wisp you'll never be able to find. But you still want to chase something futile as this, leave for all I care."

Yoon gapes at the sudden outburst. He kicks a bottle cap on the floor absentmindedly and nods his head with a grimace. "You're right. I'm sorry. But I'll not leave, you both are my only home now. I intend to stay by your side till the very end." He collects the papers and walks to the trash can in the corner of the room, throwing the stack in. "You'll get Vee's location soon, I'll be in my room if you need anything else." The door closes with a soft thud, an eerie silence filling the room.

"You're not sleeping again, are you?" ChangMin shakes his head, placing the teacup on the table.

Dae Ho rests his elbows on his knees and drops his head in his palms. "...No, not really."

"But still, Yoon did not deserve your harshness."

"If you're going to give me another lecture, spare me, I'm not in the mood."

"Why do I even bother." The older man scoffs in disappointment and stands up, striding towards Yoon's room.

Dae Ho drags his hands over his face and pounds his fist against the tabletop, a groan leaving his lips. Sleepless nights make him even crankier than he usually is, words spilling out before any consideration. He's been restless, thoughts about Vee escaping plaguing his mind. The fighter sinks back into the sofa, a puff of annoyed breath escaping his lips.