16. A Frail Fortress

Dae Ho walks with slouched shoulders, hands digging in his pockets

Dae Ho walks with slouched shoulders, hands digging in his pockets. He retrieves his car remote, and the black Audi in front of Meosjin Florist unlocks with a soft beep. "I'll book a hotel for you both. I'm sorry, I cannot invite you to my friend's place."

'Can't let you both find the skeletons in my closet.'

"It's alright." Eunji smiles slipping into the backseat. "How long will it take for your apartment to be ready?"

"Umm... about a week I think."

"I see."

Sungmin puts on his seatbelt, smoothening the creases on his shirt. "It was nice running into Haneul. The kid is still as welcoming as ever," he says, adjusting his glasses and pulling the seatbelt to secure himself.

"Isn't his daughter very cute?" The mother adds shifting to the middle. "She seems quite bold too. Her passionate ambiance definitely comes from Haneul."

Kim Soomin. The girl Dae Ho bumped into about five months ago. He found her interesting at the first encounter, the way she carried herself, and the inviting aura around her. Even after Dae Ho had harshly pushed Soomin away, the little girl doesn't fail to cling to his leg every time with a bright smile. He doesn't deserve her affection, it's directed at his brother anyway. It's ridiculous how Dae Ho finds sparkles in her doe eyes every time they meet his. The strings of his sunken heart tug whenever Soomin calls him uncle even if she was addressing his twin. A greed to meet her a next time spurts but he oppresses it, not when Haneul had wanted to pounce at him for being near his daughter. Not when he's a murderer, a child couldn't be tainted by his presence.

"Dae Ho, when do you plan on settling down too?" Eunji asks. "Look at Haneul, he has a beautiful child. It's a bummer we couldn't meet his wife."

"I'm not interested in marriage." The son clips with a sharp breath. "And Haneul is divorced."

'Who'd even want to marry me after knowing my truth.'

"What, really?" The mother's eyes widen, brows shooting up. "Never thought a man like that could be a divorcee."

"I—"

"How is Minji doing? Doesn't she graduate soon?" Sungmin changes the subject, something Dae Ho is thankful for.

"...yes, she will." The fighter grits his teeth together, the grip of his fingers tightening around the steering wheel, knuckles turning white.

"Bring her to Vegas someday."

"Hmm." Dae Ho pulls the brakes, stopping in front of a hotel. "I'll book you both a room here. Rest now, I'll visit in the morning."

Sungmin nods, unlatching his seatbelt but Eunji shakes her head.

"You can stay with us at the hotel too. We're only here for three days."

"Umm...sure." Dae Ho gives in, unsure. "If you'd have informed me beforehand, I could've made some arrangements." He pulls his lower lip between his teeth pondering if it is a safe idea to go with his parents. It's just for three days.