The Fight- Chapter 38

Harrys POV ( A/N- The moments come...)

I wasn't staying at my father's house anymore. I stood outside my house, staring at the door. This was the big moment. I was going to break it off with Veronica. The pit of my stomach was fluttering with nerves, but it was the right thing to do. I couldn't be with her anymore, it just wasn't working. I should've known before I proposed that things weren't going to go smoothly, I just always hoped it would.

Niall was upstairs, but I didn't care. Veronica and I would be fighting, I hoped he would listen, because I wanted some kind of witness. I would lose people over my stupidity. I assumed I'd lose Zayn; I definitely needed to talk to him before Ronnie did.

Shit, pull yourself together, Harry. Fuck. Right.

I pushed my feet forward and found myself on my doorstep. I couldn't think anymore, or I'd be a coward and run from this. But, what was there to run from? I'd fucked things up, but it wasn't entirely my fault. I didn't choose to fall in love with Louis. He was just there when nobody else was. People judged Louis before they really got to know him. To others, he was a loud, joking party animal who couldn't take anything seriously. He wasn't just that. He was genuine.

That was it. I grabbed the door handle and pushed it forward, stepping into my house. I comforted myself with the fact Veronica knew something was wrong, and that all of this wasn't going to come as a complete surprise to her.

I closed the door and walked into the kitchen, where I found her. She was over a heating pan with some eggs, cheddar cheese and bacon, probably making Niall some breakfast. Her chestnut hair was in a tight bun, and she was wearing a purple summer dress despite it being September now. Her burgundy glasses were perched on the bridge of her narrow nose, and she hadn't noticed me yet.

"Veronica?" I whispered, swallowing roughly. My throat felt like sandpaper.

She spun around from her cooking equipment and stared at me with narrowed brown eyes. She was dumbfounded, completely surprised from seeing me here. I hadn't been around here for almost a week, her reaction was expected.

"Harry... Where the hell have you been?" She whisper-yelled, or more like hissed. I ran my hand through my tangled hair, before taking a deep breath. This was so hard to handle, it was like telling a dog he wasn't allowed to run in the park.

"I've been staying at my dads, because things haven't been the same, have they?" I murmured, my eyes flicking from hers to the omelette.

She nodded, breathing heavily. "No. No, they haven't. But, to be frank, Harry, you're the one who ran. You're the one who ran away when things got a little rocky. And now you're back. Why are you back exactly? Do you even want this wedding?"

"I went because I needed some time to think. Because... There was a lot to think about." I insisted, avoiding her question first.

She snorted, confused. "All you had to think about was whether you love me. But you stayed away for almost a week, without any information about where you were. You proposed to me because I thought you loved me, but I don't think you do." Her voice got shaky towards the end, and her dark eyes glistened over with salt water. Holy shit.

"I...I slept with Louis." I said, in a quiet voice.

Two things happened at once after that. I heard the broken sobs escape her throat, and one of her hands clasped around her mouth to stifle the sounds. But, in unison with that, her other hand lifted up and smacked me right on the cheek. I jumped back, a surprised what the fuck erupting from my mouth. I hadn't expected that. I should've, though. She did have a right to hit me.