Facing Death- Chapter 20

Before I begin, I'd just like to say that this chapter will be kind of weird and probably a bit hard to follow... But it'll all make sense, trust me. Thankyou, my kiddiesss<3

Liam's POV

When Niall was pushed up against the wall with a knife an inch away from his throat, I knew that he was facing actual death. But so was I; death to me wasn't being killed or fading away in my sleep or whatever, death was losing Niall Horan. And if I lost him, I'd already be dead. Watching as his light blue eyes locked onto mine frantically, breathing heavily as he realised what was happening, I knew I was willing to kill myself properly for him.

Everyone was either screaming, yelling or speechless. Harry and Zayn's eyes were wide, but on me instead of Niall. I knew they were trying to anticipate what I'd do, wishing that they could transfer their thoughts to stop me from doing anything stupid. I knew that if I stepped forward. Will would slit Niall's throat open until he bled to death on the bedroom floor. Now I knew that the kid was traumatised from his time as a sex slave, and mentally ill.

Jack was terrified. He was yelling words at his brother that I didn't really care to listen to. I guessed it was something to do with "Let him go, Will! He's just a kid!" But I just wasn't listening, and neither was Will. He was glowering at me, hatred glistening in his dark eyes, his long greasy hair stuck to his forehead as his breathing quickened.

Demi pulled out her camera and clicked a button, probably videoing this whole thing to take to the police after Will killed Niall- or me- so he'd be taken to a detention centre or prison or whatever the fuck they did to kids nowadays which was usually too flexible.

"Bro, let the kid go, he's sick!" Jack begged helplessly, reaching out towards his brother. Harry stepped forward and slapped his hands away, glowering at him. Harry's expression read are you fucking stupid?

Zayn grabbed Harry and pulled him back. "Jack, if we go towards him, he might kill Niall. Hazz, calm down." Although Zayn was usually the angry, pissed off one, he was the calmest here. "Guys, stay calm, we won't let anything happen to Niall, okay? Trust me, Liam."

I caught his eye contact. "I know what I have to do."

"What are you talking about?" Harry interjected, sensing danger. "There's nothing we can do right now! The fucking psychopath has Niall, Liam, you can't-"

"Kill me." I whispered, causing everybody to stare at me in disbelief. Will was bewildered, tearing his eyes away from his victim and resting them on me. For a minute, the madness inside him disappeared and was exchanged with absolute dumbfound.

Like I said before, I would simply sacrifice myself for Niall. Just because he's a depressed, fucked up kid with serious issues, I knew he had a long life ahead of him. I'd always known that it'd take time, but he would heal. His scars- visible and emotional- would heal, his past would fade into oblivion, and he'd be a normal kid. He was just sixteen, seventeen soon, and he would live until he was ninety two, nice and warm in his bed with the love of his life- maybe even surrounded by his children and grandchildren before he drifted. He wouldn't die this way.

It was all my fault. If I'd been watching him, he wouldn't have ran away. He wouldn't be facing death, and he wouldn't be shaking from terror. Everyone was absolutely bewildered, but his eyes were wide at my self-sacrifice. He tried to shake his head but Will just kept the knife closer to his throat.

"You're bluffing." Will spat, snorting. "You're just saying that so I'll let Niall go, then you'll run away."

I glowered. "I'm not going to run. Kill me, not him. But let me just say this: you make me sick. I felt bad for you, how you were sold off to be a prostitute or some shit, and obviously you're some traumatised kid. But never would I think you'd stoop so low, attempting at killing a boy you declared love on. You're forcing love, kid- love which will never happen now."

"I'm not crazy!" He screamed, his hand shaking with the knife. "He... He left me... Before... I can't let h-him, leave me, a-gain..." His words slurred and stuttered as tears began rolling down his reddened cheeks. He looked at Niall who was pressed up against the wall even more as the knife was trembling against his skin.

I stepped forward, now attempting to kill him with kindness. "Look, think about it, Will. You don't want Niall to leave you, but you're going to kill him. If you let him go right now, he'll stay. He was going to anyway." Over my dead body.

Niall glanced at me in confusion, as did everyone else. But I knew what I was doing. I knew what I had to do.

"You're lying," Will muttered, glancing at the floor. "The minute I let him go, you'll take him away from me. Everyone leaves me, but I'm not crazy. I'm not crazy. Being a sex slave taught me a few things, like not trusting anybody. Including crappy care workers like you."

I wasn't a monster, I did admit I felt a little glister of sympathy for this guy, but I still despised him. I didn't care if he was tortured, wrecked, put through any kind of shit you can imagine- he still was ready to kill the love of my life. Was I going to let that happen? No. I was prepared to let the kid kill me if it meant Niall was safe. I could trust my friends enough to look after him. Demi was a therapist, for crying out loud. Louis, Zayn, and Harry were the best friends I could ever imagine. The kids at the care home loved him. He didn't need me. I needed him.

I stepped forward again, just a few feet away from them now. "You can hold onto me whilst you let him go. Then kill me."

"Why do you care so much about Niall? He told me you didn't want him, so he left. Why are you sacrificing yourself to save a depressed kid, when you could walk out of here right now and live?" Will asked me, shaking his head with a scowl.

I walked further, stopping as he bought the knife closer to Niall. "Because that's what love is. Whatever the reason, you're always there for them. You prepare yourself in any way to save your other half. No matter the price. This one just happens to be hefty."

"I love him, too!" He yelled, his hand trembling again. "I'll let him go. In exchange for you."

Harry gasped. "Liam, no-"

"Okay. Grab hold of my hand." I held out my right hand, shivering as Will's frozen one grasped it tightly.

He held down the knife and shoved Niall into my friends who quickly wrapped their arms around him for safety and assurance. But Niall didn't take notice of them; he was reaching out towards me screeching uncontrollably. He was yelling and screaming for Will to let me go, but Will just shoved me up against the wall in the same position with the knife against my throat. I squeezed my eyes shut.

Just then, someone barged through the door. I opened my eyes again, and saw two police officers holding guns up to Will. He gasped, and yanked the blade away from my throat. But he wasn't watching as it sliced down my chest, creating a long, deep, oozing cut.

"Liam!"

"Shit-"

"LIAM!" Niall's cries were the loudest as I collapsed on the floor, finally coming to peace with unconsciousness.

***

This chapter is mega-small! I'm so sorry, but........ What'd you all think? Who called the police? Is Liam going to live? Do you hate Will now? What'd you all think of this chapter? Leave your thoughts in the comments!

Vote pleaseeee<3 I love you guys so much!

-Chloe:3