The Start- Chapter 39

Liam's POV

"Okay, let's do this." Ed crossed his arms over his chest and raised his eyebrows in triumph.

We were on the same street as we were a few days back when Jess agreed to help us. We were ready to start our plan, after a few months of arranging. I was hand in hand with Niall, and Ed slung his arm around Jess's shoulders. Darcy stood there with a sour expression, occasionally giving Jess dirty looks. It was probably because she had no male attention at the moment, and Jess wasn't exactly the prettiest girl.

We stood right outside a house which was more run down than where Enrique lived. There was barely any paint on the walls, and the door had a huge hold in it, only covered by a few bits of cardboard. The windows were smashed, so there was more cardboard keeping them up. I really had no clue how the family survived the winter. All I knew was that Jess knew this guy who lived here, and worked for Alex. Apparently the guy- Russell- had a girlfriend and a newborn baby girl and since he failed all his exams, struggled to find a job. Until he found Alex.

Jess promised that Russell was a lovely guy, but he was Alex's fighter because he was bulky and strong. Russell's job was to beat up the people who refused to pay him, or gave him any shit. Russell hated it, but it was the only way to fend for his family.

Niall squeezed my hand tightly, so I gazed down at him. His big blue eyes were wide and full of fright. I knew he hated anything linked to violence because of his father, and that this street scared him. He was okay with opposition until it became violence, because he shied away from it like the plague.

Ed smiled sadly to Niall, also noticing his expression, before walking up to the door and knocking on it loudly. I heard shuffling and muffled sounds from inside, before the scratched, ruined door opened. It was a woman, very slim but warn out. Her dyed black hair rung loosely around her shoulders, greasy and too long. Her eyes were dark and dim, with huge purple bags underneath them. She carried a beautiful baby in her arms, curled up in a light pink blanket like a burrito. My heart melted at the adorable bundle of joy, knowing I'd always loved children.

The woman didn't say anything, she just looked at us in fright. She tightened her skinny arms around the baby and pulled her away from our eye sight. I assumed she must've been nervous around these parts, like we were a few gangsters coming to mess with her family.

"We're not here to cause any trouble, ma'am," I reassured her quickly. "I'm Liam, and these are my friends. We came here to talk to your partner Russell. We aren't here for any kind of bad news really, we just need to speak to him urgently."

The woman relaxed a little, looking anxiously to her baby, and then back to me. "Russ is out right now, but he should be back any minute. You can, er, you can come in, I guess. You don't look like you're from around here, though. I'm Sinead, by the way."

I thanked her and stepped inside her home. It smelt strongly of baby powder and damp. She limped into the living area where there was two huge sofas, both fake leather and ripped, before sitting down on one of the chairs alongside them. I sat down, pulling Niall close to me. Darcy sat next to him, and then Ed and Jess on the other sofa. I still eyed the baby, completely dumbfounded by the conditions she lived with.

"You're a baby person, I assume?" Sinead asked, her accent a faded Liverpool, and a smile cracking at her dry lips. "Faith is my favourite little girl. Hardly any trouble, despite the cold temperatures and other conditions. Russ and I love her so much, it's painful."

I grinned at her, nodding. "I've always loved babies. They're so... innocent. They're oblivious to the harsh world around us, which I think is an amazing yet sad thing, don't you think? Faith looks very beautiful. I'm sure you're proud." I said politely.