Awkward Times-Chapter 2

Niall's POV

It wasn't long until Liam checked his watch and sighed, before murmuring to me that it was half nine and time for breakfast. I returned his sigh, too, not wanting to move from my position yet. This was my happy place: alone with Liam. It was odd and maybe a little wrong, but I didn't care.

So Liam lead me downstairs in my Toy Story pyjamas which Liam gave me. He had said that he used to wear them when he was my age but grew out of them quickly, and that they were now mine. Ever since, it had been painful to take them off. They fit me so snugly it was really strange but it made me feel like... well, it made me feel as if they were meant to fit me perfectly.

We attended the breakfast table and Liam took his seat at the end, while I sat closely next to him. Ella sat opposite me next to Darcy. Ed and Jace sat next to her.

"Are you feeling any better?" Ella asked, smiling sweetly. She flipped her long black hair over her shoulder and glared at me with muddy brown eyes. "Darcy told me about your nightmare."

I shrugged but didn't answer.

"If I didn't know any better, I would say he's feeling a lot better," Liam answered for me, grinning. I beamed at him, thankful that he answered for me.

Liam grabbed some cold toast from a plate in front of us, in the centre of the small round wooden table. Then he dropped it and exhaled in disgust. I could totally see what he was sighing about; the breakfast Kevin Care Home provided was vile. Johnny and Harvey weren't up yet, so I was sort of wondering who actually made this crap.

"Ergh," Ed grumbled. "Don't we have any cereal? This toast is gross."

"I'm afraid not," Liam murmured, biting his lip. "Johnny and Harvey gave me a note while Niall was dozing off that they were going out. Maybe they went to get some breakfast... you have to realise, guys, this home is really running out of money. We need to put boundaries of different things we are going to use. I'm sorry."

All of them groaned but me. I gazed up at Liam in admiration. He speaks fine words and the soft velvety tone he uses just soaks into my skin, giving me that tingly feeling. Oh... Liam. He was just absolutely perfect. I wanted to wrap my arms around his neck and bring his face close to mine before crashing my lips with his...

"Niall...?"

I snapped my head up to see Liam peering down at me through his impossibly long black lashes with one of his broad eyebrows pulled up.

"Why were you just pursing your lips at me like that?" he asked, the corners of his mouth pulling up in amusement. I gulped.

"I don't know, sorry," I whispered.

"Don't be." He smiled broadly, before patting me gently on the back. He grabbed the carton of orange juice and shook it. No sound escaped the carton and he slammed it back on the table angrily, his nostrils flaring. I swear I saw his biceps flex. "Flaming empty."

I bit my lip. "Do you think Harvey and Johnny went out to buy some cereal? I'm really hungry, Liam."

"Roger that!" Jace groaned, pushing the plate of icy toast away from all of us in disapproval. He ran his long skinny fingers through his rat-tailed hair and sighed.

Ed shoved him, his eyebrows pulling together. "Shut up, Jace. Niall didn't eat any of the pizza last night, y'know. You ate about five slices."

Liam froze and stared into my arms, obviously shocked. "Niall! You know I tell you to eat every day! Why didn't you eat some of Johnny's homemade pizza? Was it that bad? I didn't have any."