Together- Chapter 31

Trigger warning- if you're sensitive, please don't read. You're strong and I love you. I'm always here.💕

NIALLS POV
By the time I got back to the care home, it was four. I'd decided to stay at the park for a couple hours so Liam didn't know I'd skived school. When I got back, everyone else was already home. It was a quieter atmosphere than usual, but then it occurred to me that the twins have a day with their parents. Everyone was in the sitting room, chatting amongst each other. Jace and Ella were holding hands on the love seat, Ed was reading a book in the corner, Darcy was watching some Teen Mom show and Liam was sitting on the huge sofa by himself on his phone. Once he saw me, his face lit up and patted down on the space next to him. I obliged, but didn't go too close to avoid temptation.

There was nothing awkward about the room, no elephant. It was calm, the occasional comment lingering in. I shoved my bag down and tried to stop myself from cuddling up to Liam which was harder said than done.

"Where were you second period, Ni? I didn't see you in Media." Jace finally chirped in, his dark eyes resting on me. He reminded me so much of Bentley- straight blonde hair falling into his eyes and faintly squinted eyes. His voice was similar too, quite high pitched and young.

Liam glanced at me but I tried to play it cool. "Um, my form teacher wanted to talk to me about my grades."

"You weren't in Maths either." Ella contradicted, talking about fourth period. I glowered at her, but she didn't see.

Liam turned to me, his large eyebrows raised. "Niall, you'd better not be skipping school. You wanted to go, so you do. Unless you want me to pull you out again..." He trailed off. I knew he was trying to be professional, but it annoyed me that he was treating me just like the rest. I knew it was his job, but I didn't want to be just another care kid. I was his boyfriend, wasn't I? It wasn't like I went off randomly.

"He didn't skip. I saw him at lunch, he also had a talk with his PE teacher Coach Jenkins period four." Ed murmured, not glancing up from his book. I peered at him, my eyes narrowed, wondering why he'd cover for me. I mentally noted to talk to him later.

Liam caught my eye contact again, his lips pursed. I wasn't sure how I was supposed to tell him about Veronica since he didn't know I went today, but I guess he'd have realised tonight or tomorrow morning when she rang. It was Friday, so I had Liam to myself all weekend...

"Just so you know, I bought a load of groceries for this home. We have food to last us about three weeks, since I borrowed some money from my mum. I know that you're all sick of dry toast for breakfast and boring noodles for dinner. I just want you guys to know that I might just be a care worker, but I care about you all so much." I felt him grab my hand, squeezing it gently. "I'm not rich, and what I did for you guys might cost me my flat, but it's worth it. My real home is here with you. I haven't been back to my apartment in weeks."

"Sorry we are such a hassle, Liam," Jace chirped in. He wasn't being bitter or sarcastic, he was genuinely sorry. His almost-black eyes flickered from Ella to Liam with pain, obviously feeling guilty. I understood; Liam was making so many sacrifices for us and never got enough credit.

Ella, obviously, took Jace's side. "Yeah. Why aren't you the owner, instead of Harvey?"

"This place was originally Harvey's grandfathers, called Kevin, hence the name. Johnny began working here twenty years ago, whereas I began just over two years ago. I'm not looking to own it, kids. Obviously, usually I feel cheated, because I don't believe I get nearly what I deserve from Harvey, but I can't complain. KCH is over the brink, and they barely have enough to cover my paychecks. I'm not being forced to buy you necessities, but I don't really have much of a choice." Liam babbled, his fingers trailing soft circles in my hand, but was peering at Jace and Ella.