Paper Flowers- Chapter 28

Liam's POV

I'd been waiting for five minutes exactly. Every ten seconds, I would glance at my watch impatiently but nervously. I didn't know what to expect, I didn't know what Harry's reaction would be. Today I would be speaking to Harry and Veronica whilst Niall was at school. I'd told him that everything would go smoothly, and everything would go as planned, but really I wasn't entirely sure.

I hoped Harry would be okay about it. I kind of thought he would be better than his fiancée. Veronica was unpredictable and although she was a lovely, polite woman- she could also go off like a firework if she didn't believe in something. With wedding plans, I wasn't sure whether she'd be happy about filling out a fostering/adoption form for Niall. Even if it's only for a couple of months until he turns eighteen.

We'd agreed to meet at McDonalds, just because it was around lunchtime and a cheap, convenient place to talk things through. I'd told him that I needed to speak to him about something important, and from the concern settled into his low voice, I knew he was eager to find out what I needed. He'd also mentioned it to Louis and Zayn, who had probably texted me a hundred times asking if everything was good.

So I was sat in one of the booths in McDonalds, picking at my order of fries and nuggets. I wasn't really interested in them, but I hadn't eaten today and I was headed to the ygm later so I needed to have something in my stomach. I picked up a chip and popped it in my mouth, chewing slowly.

I took another peek at my watch again which read 12:14. We were supposed to meet at quarter past, so they'd be here soon. My food had gone a little cold, but I kept eating anyway. My eyes were completely focused on the large window next to me which was the path leading towards the fast food restaurant. A lot of people were parking their vehicles and walking inside, and soon enough the place was packed. Luckily, nobody sat with me so I could just prop my feet up on the two chairs opposite me for Harry and Veronica.

It'd turned 12:34 when I noticed Harry's dark silver Volvo turn into the parking lot and stop. I breathed in relief when I saw a curly haired boy hop out of his car, and also a tall, slim woman with dark brown hair in a bun. Harry quickly locked his vehicle and both of them walked hand-in-hand towards the building.

When they noticed me, they slid past the huge queue and slipped into the booth, Harry's bright green eyes on me and a cute, dimpled smile plastered on his pale face. Veronica grinned at me with perfect white teeth, her dark eyes constantly flickering to Harry, and immediately I knew she adored him.

"You're late." I commented, pushing away my order towards them.

Harry furrowed his eyebrows and stuffed a few fries in his mouth, swallowed, before murmuring deeply, "Not by much. Jeez, this must be important since I'm the late one, Liam. What's going on, mate?" He asked me concerned, flinging his arm around Ronnie.

"I just..." I trailed off, nervous. I didn't know how to begin. With both of them staring at me, I felt self conscious. I felt like I shouldn't be asking, like it wasn't my place to even consider it. The thing is, I wouldn't be asking this if I wasn't desperate. If they didn't adopt him, he would be taken away. Johnny had already told me that he's going unless we find him a suitable home. This was an emergency in my eyes.

Veronica laughed, pushing up her dark rimmed glasses on the bridge of her narrow nose. "Are you asking to be best man? Because Harry was considering you, but we're stuck with my brother and Louis too. I think Louis would be a bit miffed, and Zayn would be so mad since I'm his sister... But Harry's always considered you as his friend to go to when he's in trouble, so-"

"It's nothing to do with the wedding." I assured her, rolling my eyes. "I have a problem... Like, a huge one. Well, it might not be huge to anyone else but it's pretty damn troublesome for me. Now, I know I'd help you if you were in this situation... But I'm not sure if the feeling is mutual."