You and I- Chapter 22

Niall's POV

Ever since Liam has gotten out the hospital, he's been very protective. Of course, he wasn't very affectionate when people were around, but when they weren't he couldn't get his hands off me. And even though it was stupid, and incredibly reckless, I loved it. I loved it more than I've ever loved something before, and it did scare me. It scared me, but all the terror was off my mind when he was with me. It was when I was alone, the thoughts came flooding back.

The point was, Liam hardly ever left me alone. He usually stayed with me until I fell asleep at night, and was in my room in the mornings. He'd volunteered to have extra working time which was great, but I also felt like I was messing with his personal life. He shouldn't be doing that, and pushing away all of his friends and his parents. Just because I didn't have any, it doesn't mean I should be selfish with him.

Johnny and Harvey noticed nothing. Liam told me that they just believe I'm in need of more care so Liam helps me, not the fact that we're very... together. Although we haven't kissed since the rejection, we've cuddled and been very close. I've never opened up to someone before, but with Liam it's easy. He tells me about himself so I don't feel suffocated, and then I tell him about me. Every night before I drift off, he sings me his song.

Of course, when I'm not with Liam occasionally I feel like shit again, but I haven't hurt myself in three weeks. I'm so proud, honestly, but the thoughts do reappear sometimes. But before I feel like doing that again, he's always back. I've realised that he's probably afraid to lose me and doesn't want to let me go, and I know the exact feeling. I mean, I felt that when Will cut him.

I watched when the police handcuffed Will and took him away screaming, Jack yelling about how it's just a big misunderstanding. In the waiting room when Liam was still unconscious, I'd spoken to his friends and Demi had rang the police, but nobody had noticed. Louis was really bummed that he hadn't seen Liam get hurt (joking, obviously) but he was really supportive with mine and Liam's... relationship.

I didn't know what our relationship was. Of course, I loved him. He loved me... I think. You don't hurt yourself for someone if you don't love them, right? I mean, I don't really have much experience in the boyfriend stuff, but what I do know is that I'm crazy about Liam frickin' Payne and there's nothing I can do about it.

"Ni? You awake?" I heard a ruffling outside of my door, so I rolled my eyes. Usually he'd be in my room before I'm awake, but today I woke up earlier than normal. I whispered a muffled yes, and chuckled as he stomped into my room in just blue pyjama bottoms.

I never get over the shock of how perfect his body was- muscular, toned and well looked after. He did, in fact, have abs- which I already knew about, since he'd brag about it whenever he came into work right after the gym. His trousers hung loose off his hips, and it did occur to me that he probably wasn't wearing underwear. I turned a flushed red and bowed my head as he collapsed on my bed, smirking.

"What time is it? I didn't even check," he asked me in a soft murmur, glancing up at me with those chocolate pools. I held back the chuckle as his quiff plopped down onto his forehead, something I knew he hated.

I glanced at my alarm clock and sighed, "Eight fifteen. Um, I've been awake for about two hours. Johnny went to the store to buy some bread, Harvey has a day off... We are all alone again." I smiled, not trying to be suggestive but realised it sounded it when he raised his eyebrows, smirking.

"Oh..." He shook his head and grinned, "Cold toast again today then? I think I might treat the home today with Chinese food or a pizza. They're all beginning to complain about the lack of variety we have for meal times."

"We don't have enough money for a takeaway, Liam..." I reminded him dully. Obviously, we were still practically broke. I knew that if we didn't gather enough money soon, the home would probably have to shut down and we'd all get split off to different ones. That thought made me cringe, mostly because of the fact I'd never see Liam again, but also that Will was in one of these care homes. Or he would be, once he got released from detention.