Wonderwall- Chapter 29

Niall's POV

"Niall, can I speak to you for a moment?" Liam asked professionally, glancing at me with a twinkle in his eye. I looked up at him and froze, realising he was smirking secretively. I felt like grinning like an idiot, but kept a blank expression.

"Yeah, okay."

I'd just gotten home from school, and everyone was here watching TV in the living room- apart from Johnny who hadn't spoken to me at all recently. Harvey was chatting casually to the twins and Ed, Jace and Ella were wrapped up in their own conversation about a really cool dinner place which just opened up in the city. I took a glance at Darcy who was staring out the window expressionless. The only thing that gave her away were her bright olive eyes, which illustrated pain and loss.

Maybe it was her sweet boyfriend. Maybe Alex had finally got to her, and she realised now how much of a dick he was. Or maybe she'd developed feelings for Bentley. Right now, I didn't really care. My mind was all settled on Liam. He had stood up now, a metre away from where I was sat next to Benjamin.

I followed him upstairs and into his bedroom again. He perched down on his boring white bed, patting down next to him. Without a word, I sat beside him and looked up, puzzled. He obviously was desperate to tell me something, and I was dying to know what it was.

"So... I have good news, and I have bad news." He murmured, still beaming. "Which would you like first?"

I thought about it. "Hmm... Well, I don't know."

"They both link. Whatever, I'll just tell you the full story." He spoke quickly, excitedly. "So, I spoke to Harry today, he bought along his fiancée Veronica. I told them about my desires, and Harry agreed. You're in."

I gasped. I couldn't believe it- Harry had accepted the offer. I felt like hugging Liam and running up to Harry right now and hugging him, but I realised that Liam had mentioned bad news. I couldn't imagine any bad news right now, not when he just gave me the best news so far. Despite this, Liam's face dropped and his big brown eyes narrowed, gazing towards the soft white carpet.

It felt so rushed, all of it. I'd just came home from school and he bombed me with this... I was a little overwhelmed, but I couldn't stop my smile. I was confused as to why Liam seemed so down, but I just couldn't match his expression. I stared at him, but he didn't meet my eyes. What could be so bad that bought him down after this incredible news?

"So, the bad news?" I pressed, feeling relieved when he finally glanced at me, his copper brown eyes shiny and unreadable.

Finally, he sighed and murmured in a low voice, "I said Harry agreed. But that doesn't mean Veronica did."

"Wait, so she doesn't want me?" I spoke slowly. Yet again, something stopped me from being happy. But I suppose I couldn't blame her... She didn't even know me. For all she knew, I was just some fucked up boy in a care home coming to destroy her life. I should've known this would happen. Harry knew me, so it wouldn't be so bad. I should've at least met his fiancée before asking this of her.

Liam's eyes widened as he caught my hands, pulling me closer. "Niall, listen. She's just being selfish, because she's stressed about the wedding. But that doesn't mean you're not going to live with them. Harry told me that whatever she says, you're still going there. He promised that everything will go fine, like I mentioned before. You don't have to worry."

"I don't have to worry? Liam, it's not going to work if Harry's soon-to-be wife doesn't want me!" I snapped. I was frustrated, but I regretted it after he flinched, backing away from me and letting go of my hands.

"Okay, I'm sorry." I whispered, placing my hand on top of his. "Look... I'm just saying, you can't expect me not to worry. I know you're here to protect me, I know that's what you need to do. You're Liam! You're too caring and sweet to let anything bad happen to me. That's why I want you. But when our future hangs on the line and you tell me not to worry, that's ridiculous."