52 - merry christmas, seri

Art by @randompetite (Twitter)

December 25, 2020 8:15AM

Seri's Apartment

Why did her alarm not go off? Yoon Seri woke up wondering how she overslept when she realized it was a holiday.

Another Christmas day. Seri sighed. What should she do on that day of such merriment and glee? It seemed a good idea to just sleep the day off. She had presents under the tree, from her team, from partners, even one from Seo Dan. She was going to open all those and probably smile at some pretty trinkets, some knick knacks.

But it was a good sleep with a nice long dream. She dreamed that Lee Jeong-hyeok actually called her late at night and visited her apartment. He was wearing the suit from his parents' party and he gave her a hug. Seri could feel it like it was real, Seri wanted to preserve that thought.

Then Seri felt hollow inside as she hugged her knees, her chin propped on them. That was why they were called dreams.

Seri recognized the symptoms, so before she could spiral down into 'holiday blues' she peeled off her comforter and climbed down the bed. Maybe cereal or some of the oatmeal she bought for breakfast.

She opened the door to kitchen noises.

"You're here?" Jeong-hyeok called. "Good morning, I'll be done in a few. Have a seat."

Seri stared at the man wearing a mustard cashmere knitted sweater in the kitchen. It wasn't a dream all along?

December 24, 2020 8:52 PM
Lee Family Residence → Seri's Apartment

"Never mind..."

It was heavy enough for Jeong-hyeok to carry a limping leg, heavier still when the heart did not want it to go where it needed to.

He faced his mother with a question that could be seen as courageous of an assenting obedient son, "Do I have to stay?"

"But...where do you want to go?" His mother asked confused, "Back upstairs?"

Jeong-hyeok shook his head. "There's some place I need to go."

"Where? This late? Couldn't it wait?" His mother was always worried about him, more so that he could not stand on both feet.

"If I wait, it will be another year." Jeong-hyeok realized this as he checked his watch, fingers pinching the frame, "I have to make it this time, now that I don't have a flight and I'm only a drive away. Tell dad I've rested or gone somewhere. I really need to do this."

Jeong-hyeok booked a taxi which he instructed to go to Gangnam. He kept watching the time, he needed to make it before midnight or it wouldn't be Christmas eve anymore, so he kept asking the driver to accelerate a little.

He arrived 15 minutes before the clock would strike 12 and looked out of the car after rolling down the window, his phone was on his ear waiting for her to pick up. She took the call with her explaining that she was not home even though the appearance of her apartment told him otherwise. When he pointed that out, she disappeared from the call and he kept saying hello until the line cut off.