47 - the best laid plans

December 18, 2020 6:30 PM
Seri's Choice Headquarters

Seri only had the weekday evenings to make preparations. Tuesday night she went to the grocery to fill her cupboards with healthy snacks: nuts, rice chips, crunchy seaweeds, vegan crackers, fruit jams, oatmeal, some microwaveable food. Wednesday evening she changed fresh new sheets and made a sweep of the guest room. Thursday night she loaded ice cubes, pain medications and epsom salt. Should a snow storm hit them, the apartment will be well provisioned.

At the end of her shift, Seri sent all the emails and got ready to sling her bag when Mr. Hong knocked and entered her office. "Ms. Yoon..."

"What is it?" Her eyes immediately were drawn to his hands to see if he had contracts for her to sign or something to show her but he came in bringing nothing.

"Uhm...it's Christmas Eve next week..."

"So?"

"The team is wondering if they could be dismissed early if they're able to submit all deliverables."

"It's a rather bold imposition, don't you think Mr. Hong?" She said with her arms folded, "I still haven't approved the proposals for next year and I'm waiting for the costing report for KMEX. You're taking advantage of my good mood?"

"No ma'am, we just thought..." Mr. Hong's head hung low as hopes for Christmas eve celebrations went down the drain.

Seri stared at the crestfallen manager, and then smiled. "If you make it by the 24th, I will allow it."

Mr. Hong stood up straight in shock, "Really, Ms. Yoon??"

"So work hard before then." Seri said with pointed eyes. "Understood?"

"Yes, we will." Mr. Hong bowed, "Thank you, Ms. Yoon!!" He bowed again.

Seri chuckled and shook her head as she picked up her laptop bag. Christmas dinner...Maybe she could actually hold one.

In the car, Seri loaded the address she acquired from Kwang-beom in her navigation app. Their apartment was located in Gwanak near the university, Seri should be there by quarter past 7 at the most.

December 18, 2020 7:50 PM
Maibaum building, Gwanak

Jeong-hyeok stood by the window, watching the passing cars for a red range rover, something he expected to come thirty minutes ago but was nowhere to be found.

"Maybe she stopped somewhere for dinner?" Kwang-beom suggested. He was dressed up, ready to go to the airport as soon as Jeong-hyeok left. Seri contacted him on Monday to tell her plan which was almost like a real estate agent proposing a house with the number of photos she sent in of her apartment to assure him that it was the safest place for him to stay. She sold the idea on the premise that it's a favor for a friend.

"She would have told me" Jeong-hyeok looked at his phone, swiping to her number and bringing the phone to his ear. "She's not answering."

Kwang-beom was checking his app for the traffic situation, "There's a bit of traffic...But she should be here anytime soon. She probably stopped by somewhere."

December 18, 2020 6:45 PM
Phonecall

"Seri."

"Mom, I'm driving now."

"You have to come home. Now."

"I can't do that on a whim. I have someplace I have to be."

"Is it true you're conniving against your father?"

"What?"

"Se-hyeong has proof that you have been meeting with the whistleblower of your father's case."