59 - goodbye talk

January 2, 2021 7:35 PM Outback Steakhouse  → Korean Children Outreach Fund, Osan

Outback Steakhouse  → Korean Children Outreach Fund, Osan

Seri could not help but notice the tense silence in the air. Word must have gone around the table, forbidding a certain topic to be brought up and that included staring at her. 

Their orders were long collected so there was no reason to talk. Myeong-sun asked her son to share a little about school but the boy became shy and could only tell so much. He was conscious of how he faced the table, giving only a quick sweep to make sure his eyes did not linger on the long-haired pretty lady.

Jeong-hyeok was not great at parties and usually did not volunteer topics though he asked U-pil a question or two. U-pil was studying English so Jeong-hyeok asked him if he understood the lively chatter of the American tourists occupying the booth behind them, the boy bashfully shook his head. 

"Do you understand them?" Seri asked Jeong-hyeok. 

Jeong-hyeok's forehead became furrowed in deep thought as he folded his arms,  stared at his table utensils and tried to make out a few words. "They are talking about how cold it would get."

Seri nodded, "That's how I understood it, too."

"I think it will get worse." Myeong-sun sighed.

"Are the children well equipped? I can send some  jackets or blankets." Seri offered.

"They are, thank you very much...ah..." Myeong-sun wanted to continue but remembered something that made her close her mouth.

Seri sighed,  "You know, it's okay to talk about the cat face. Don't burden yourself on my account." She would have covered the remaining marks with makeup had her skin not felt sensitive after all the chemicals she inflicted upon her face. So she only applied light powder that added a layer of coverage so they only appeared like a shadow.

"Seri, I'm truly sorry this happened." Myeong-sun apologized, "If the pen wasn't mixed up it would not have happened."

Seri dismissed with a shake of her head, "It was an innocent mistake." Something that she would never be heard saying at the Seri's Choice board room. 

U-pil himself couldn't help but look at her now that there were no restrictions.

"We'll clean it up later." Jeong-hyeok reached for her hand underneath the table. A worthy antidote to the shame Seri felt the whole afternoon.

"Hello! I'm sorry I'm late." 

U-pil beamed, "Dad!" The boy reached out to embrace the newcomer.

"You're finally here..." Myeong-sun greeted, "Jeong-hyeok, Seri, this is my husband Jung Man-bok."

"We finally meet." Jeong-hyeok stood up, extended his hand for a shake which Man-bok took with both of his hands. His face awashed with gratitude, his shoulders stooped low in humility.