30 - omens

November 23, 2020 9:15 PMYoon family estate, Seoul

Yoon family estate, Seoul

For the two heirs of Queens Group, there was something far more foreboding than an arrest warrant. Nothing foretold an omen more than to see a 7th chair set in the Yoon dining table where there were always 6. 

Do Hye-ji, wife of the eldest Yoon son, made the world-shaking discovery with a trembling finger while clutching her husband's arm. Yoon Se-hyeong, the younger Yoon brother had stopped still to notice, exchanging wary glances with his wife, Go Sang-ah.

"Mom, is she really coming?" Yoon Se-joon asked in denial.

The icy matriarch sat expressionless at her table, neither acknowledging the panicked inquiry or the existence of any person in the same space.

"She is coming." The only one holding the family together with a string was left to Yoon Jeung-pyeong, and each day he appeared to grow older and more troubled than the previous one. "Don't just stand there."

They were on their first course when the 7th guest arrived with her heels clicking on the marble floor. Her mother, being at the opposite end of the table, was first to see how the estranged daughter wore black yet again despite the former's best reminders. 

Yoon Jeung-pyeong was not the slightest perturbed and in fact it seemed a weight had been lifted from his shoulders at the sight of her, "Seri, sit down."

Seri took her father's left side, the spread on the table ought to entice her, many of them were her favorites but nothing stirred her appetite. Not when the table was surrounded by those who most detested her. 

"I called you all here because we need to be prepared for the worst-case scenario." Jeung-pyeong began grimly, "The lawyers are hard at work to prolong and have this case dismissed but this whistleblower can't be underestimated. He is a clever one and I'm afraid he knows far more than he is letting on."

"Dad," Se-hyeong spoke up, "I have seen this coming and my wife and I have already poured out resources to seek this whistleblower so we can settle this privately. Give me your trust and let me handle this."

"You mean you've sent out your thugs to threaten the guy." Se-joon chuckled knowingly, "You're so predictable, brother."

Se-hyeong only sneered, "If you don't have any solution, brother I suggest you shut up."

Jeung-pyeong turned to his youngest seated at his left side, "Seri, what do you think?"

Seri became the receiving end of heated glares from three directions but she was not burnt at the slightest bit, "We need to plan ahead, as you said, dad. Our shareholders need to be reassured that we are thinking of their best interests. There is also the company's image to consider and I'm afraid it's been tarnished."

"So you'll just have Father sent behind bars?" Se-hyeong implied scathingly.

"Yeah Seri, what's with that?" A rare moment when Se-joon would actually support his brother.

"Seri is right." The chairman affirmed, his eyes shut in deep thought,  "We may need to discuss the matter of succession as soon as possible."