97 - take care pt. i

June 15, 2021 8:00 AMSeri's Choice Headquarters

Seri's Choice Headquarters

A high school acquaintance who drove a Rolls-Royce to a school reunion lured Park Su-chan to the world of insurance. Su-chan, then a banker, was convinced this was his key to becoming financially independent and providing a comfortable life for his wife, son, and twin daughters.

Su-chan had indispensable personality traits: sincerity, empathy, and discipline. He must be born to be a sales agent. Certainly, he was humble enough to accept that his communication skills needed work but his heart was at the right place and that's what counted. The rest could be compensated by hard work, and he happened to be a good researcher. As long as he stayed passionate, he would easily earn his 1B.

But the outlook was less rosier than he expected; slow economic growth, sustained low interest rates, and competition hampered his progress. Still, Su-chan persevered, he took home whatever wages he managed to earn and he attended his weekly masses with the optimism for a better outcome the following week. At home, he had a reminder tacked on his wall taken from his training notes: 'To be successful, one had to be a good person.' He did his best to be.

Some just had it better: luck, looks, connections, or favor from the head office. Su-chan didn't try to take it against those agents who landed more contracts, even those who came after him. 'A sound heart is life to the body, but envy is rottenness to the bones,' as his scripture said. He just prayed silently that his time would come.

Those days, he went home to a two-bedroom apartment after working overtime. His faithful wife would reheat the food that had gotten cold, tired after sending three growing children to bed. He watched his angels sleep with a father's love, pride, and then, anxiety. Would he ever be able to do it? Could he give them a bigger apartment with another bedroom, a kitchen large enough to have an oven, space enough to hang their clothes to dry?

That night he had renewed optimism. He had an appointment, one he begged his friend, Chang-sik, to grant him but there just wasn't time or perhaps there wasn't enough interest even though Chang-sik's boss didn't have insurance, not even when her family was in the industry. Su-chan already forgot about Yoon Seri until that fateful text message. He would open his inbox again to make sure it was really there.

 He would open his inbox again to make sure it was really there