53 - frisson

December 25, 2020 3:52 PM 
Seri's Apartment

Every now and then she would dream of being back in Iseltwald, standing on that exact boat when she heard the melody. In those dreams she would try to do things differently — she would not make the mistake of simply standing still and watch the pianist leave for his unknown destination. She would run to the landing stage to meet him. She would ask for the name of the piece he played so she could listen to it over and over again. But in all of those dreams, the boat would never come to shore or the landing stage would keep stretching farther and farther away. 

All she had of the mysterious melody was around 20 notes that took a backseat as she became busy with relaunching her business, a game of chess she would return to whenever there was an opportunity that come her way, maybe in the form of  a classical music expert, a pianist or a music enthusiast. it took 4 years until someone responded to her Internet posting.

To hear the music again in the form of an intimate performance was more than past and present converging. 

The first thing that hit her was the familiarity of the notes, the notes that no one else recognized, much less knew how to play. Then it was the person playing the melody who has become someone special to her, even before he could bring the music back to her ears. To return to this melody that healed her after everything she had been through sent a well of emotion that rose to her throat, a shiver that spread across her body. She had been waiting for him for so long.

More than those milestones she was happy for him, for finding it within him to play. She told him so because it seemed like he couldn't believe what he had done. But rather than shy away from her praise, he did something that was bold even for her.

Their lips touched for a couple of seconds, and if it was submitted to a board of judges, it wouldn't even be considered a full kiss because her mouth was open that he kissed only her upper lip. At best it was more of a peck.   

Though their lips drew apart, Jeong-hyeok's face still lingered near hers as his eyes met hers, their noses still near to touch. Seri too did not pull away even after being caught off-guard. She ought to be asking him what he was doing but instead, her gaze dropped to his lips.

Which Jeong-hyeok took as a cue to lean for another kiss. Arms glued side-by-side, their lips more than just brushed with Seri feeling the soft tug of his lips, her mouth parted allowing him to angle for a deeper kiss, the warm taste of his mouth sending a rush of sensations. It was just as well that they were seated so her knees wouldn't buckle. The downside was, there was hardly any room on that piano bench for ardor. With Jeong-hyeok tipping forward, Seri became afraid of slipping that her hand held onto the piano, forgetting the keys were exposed, leading to a heavy, jarring, dissonant noise that startled them enough to break their contact.

"Are you okay?" Jeong-hyeok asked with a jolted expression.

Seri nodded, her face all flustered. Her hand lifted from the piano keys. "Sorry." She stood up, tucking a stray hair behind her ear. "Are you feeling thirsty? I'm going to get us water." She didn't wait for Jeong-hyeok to answer and walked briskly towards the kitchen.

December 25, 2020 5:30 PM

Maybe he shouldn't have done that, Jeong-hyeok thought gravely in the next few hours. The mood went from something like exultant to awkward. 

Seri didn't bring up the kiss or the piano when they were back in the living room. She suggested watching a movie to pass the time before they prepared for dinner. Of all the movies, she chose a disaster movie about a helicopter colliding with a luxury skyscraper on Christmas eve because it seemed 'fun' with her even laughing at some parts, some a bit forced which had Jeong-hyeok doubting the genre.