12 - costume party

October 30, 2020 4:45 PMImperial Palace Hotel,  Seoul

Imperial Palace Hotel, Seoul

What began as a private gathering in the upscale mansion of Ko Myeong-eun turned out to be a Grand Ballroom event at the Imperial Palace Hotel in Seoul. Ko Myeong-eun reasoned that it was the growing guest list and the need to accommodate guests who are mostly located in the city. She was deaf to her daughter's pleas to limit the party to an intimate few. The guest list expanded to include some remote business partners, a few more political connections and journalists that would put the event on the map as one of the most exclusive parties in town.

The decadent halls of the hotel made it a perfect fit for the costume party's theme, which was Hollywood masterpieces. A big band was hired as musical accompaniment.

Seo Dan was adamant about not wearing a costume, because her partner did not want to.

"Why not??" Her mother demanded, "But he would look so handsome! He can even just wear his uniform."

"He will wear a tuxedo. That would be good enough." Seo Dan entreated.

If Seo Dan was to be asked, her mother was already wearing the equivalent of two costumes with her Ascot dress and enormous hat, popularized by Audrey Hepburn in My Fair Lady.

They arrived in the venue early to smooth down preparations, Ko Myeong-eun was admiring the cordoned red carpet where guests would be walking down.

"Oh, did you see their Wedding hall? Let me take you to it. It's gorgeous, it will be perfect for you and--"

"Mom, not now. There's so much to do." Seo Dan resisted her mom's clutch, "We should be getting ready."

Somewhere in Incheon

Park Kwang-beom was accustomed to his passenger's silence. The captain wasn't a talkative person, he didn't speak unless spoken to and even so he didn't say too much unless duty called for it. Nowadays he was even quieter. He declined offers to join drinks the past couple of nights, electing to stay in his hotel room. They only see him in the airport, business as usual.

Having a full hour to burn, Kwang-beom hazarded a question, "Are you all right?"

The man on the passenger seat was checking his phone before staring out of the window. The question had him veering towards the asker, disrupting his ruminations, "Yes, why wouldn't I be?"

"You seem quiet this late." Kwang-beom observed. "Everyone's wondering."

"Nothing's wrong." His seatmate said, curled finger over his lip. "I'm the same."

"The costume party is tonight right?"

There was something like a heave. "Yes. But I'm not wearing one. I'll just be wearing a suit."

Kwang-beom gave a sympathetic sigh, "Hard to skip that out, huh?"

"I gave my word." Was his simple response.