90 - blockade

A domino the size of a sunflower seed could topple an entire building.

Seri heard the adage from her own father during one of the many times he berated her brothers for mismanagement. It was memorable for its wisdom, and a cautionary tale. Seri swore to herself that she would never be the receiving end of such reprimand.

Nothing was more dreadful than the thought of the words ricocheting to her, now that she was running her own business while it was at its peak...

Nothing so oppressive and overwhelming than the thought of it can't be that bad turn to it might be too late.

***

October 30, 2020 10:45 PM
Imperial Palace Hotel, Seoul

To no one's surprise, Seri was crowned queen of the night with her crystal-embellished costume which cost fifteen times more than the prize money. The money, of course, will be donated—Seri didn't need chump change—but the prestige, the cameras flashing, and the applause were everything.

Seo Dan clapped for her friend with a smile of pride on her face. While everyone could be watching how Seri's multi-million won dress and her elegant neck sparkled in the spotlight, Seo Dan's date right then was transfixed by the crescents formed by her eyes that he had to make a conscious effort to look away.

Ko Myeong-eun made sure she had bragging rights by the time the awarding was over by inviting Seri to her table— one filled with high-ranking women, business partners, wives of lawmakers and the judiciary, daughters of conglomerates like Seri was.

"Seri's Choice will be in KMEX." Myeong-eun made the proud declaration herself with the mall owner clutching the heiress's hand, "It's the store I'm most excited about right now. Seri has such wonderful ideas beyond my imagination and I'm proud that KMEX will be home to them."

"I'm very proud to be in KMEX." Seri tells those seated at the table with a beam of her smile. "Please look forward to it."

They all toasted to the honor of their partnership that was about to be the start of something beautiful. Myeong-eun called for the photographer to seal this moment, beckoning her daughter to join them for the photo and to call her boyfriend but it turned out her beau had to take a call.

So there it was, Seri flanked by both Myeong-eun and Seo Dan like she was an honorary daughter taken in by the family. The photo was displayed in Ko Myeong-eun's desk somewhere but it was recently packed away.

***

April 19, 2021 7:45 PM
Incheon Airport → Seri's Headquarters

"Going on a date, Captain?"

Usually the crew would bid him goodbye, no follow-up conversation. They held the perception that Jeong-hyeok was a straight-laced pilot who was extremely private. But since he announced his relationship status, they figured he was just like any other man and that made him look warm in their eyes. Jeong-hyeok was not complaining yet, he signed up to that kind of attention, after all. He was just counting on the time they'll be tired of teasing him.

Jeong-hyeok only smiled at the crew members who were leaving together by train. "Have a good rest."

They laughed and waved at him. They would find out soon enough that nothing would change and his relationship would be a closely guarded secret, as with his life.

"They were asking me for hints." Kwang-beom reported as soon as the captain boarded the former's jeep.

"Did they bother you?" Jeong-hyeok asked as he fished for his phone from his jacket pockets.