33 - thanksgiving

November 26, 2020 6:03 PM
KMEX Wonderland→Ko Family Estate, Seongbuk, Seoul

"I'm really impressed with what you did."

Seri was at the KMEX mall for a site inspection before the Wonderland Christmas village opens to the public on Saturday. She was admiring the row of wooden houses resembling gingerbread houses that come to life complete with artificial snow-covered roofs, the eaves lined by garlands and brilliant lights . "I would have a nightmare if I had to plan out the holidays during the 4th quarter but you did a great job...Which did you pattern this village? Austria?"

"Germany." Seo Dan smiled with pride as they strolled, her first real smile in a while, "There was a nice Christmas market I've visited. I've tried to adapt the European market style. Apart from the gift stores, there are food stalls that sell candies, cookies and sausages like that in Frankfurt. And then on the other side you have tteokbokki, bungeoppang and tornado potatoes."

"Ooooh it sounds so good, I'm getting hungry already." Seri gushed, her lips pouting. 

"We should wrap up anyway and go home." For the first time in those stressful days, Seo Dan felt good enough to suggest this. 

That and because her mother was holding a Thanksgiving dinner in  yet another of her spur-of-the-moment ideas. Her mother  asked Seri to join them because she roasted a turkey and 'cooked up a storm.' Seri couldn't find herself refusing.

"When I was visiting Dani in America, we had this charming Thanksgiving dinner with a family friend, I missed it so much and I decided to recreate it here!" Ko Myeong-eun was explaining to Seri when she welcomed her in their 'humble' abode, all 10,000 square meters of it.

Myeong-eun cooked enough for a dozen so she also invited Alberto to join them. Other than him, there was her brother, Ko Myeong-suk who shook Seri's hand enthusiastically. Seo Dan introduced him as a high-ranking Air Force official.

"Yoon Seri!" He greeted, "It's a pleasure finally meeting the CEO of Seri's Choice herself. My wife loves your products." Something Seri responded to gracefully with a bow and a spoken thanks.

"I'm so glad we could have this one intimate family gathering." Myeong-eun said at the start of their dinner, "Seri, I consider you as one of my own now, it's so nice to have you. Otherwise that chair next to Dani will be empty, no thanks to her no-good ex--"

"Mom." Seo Dan warned with a dart of an eye.

Seri cut her meat slowly.

"I'm sorry." Myeong-eun sipped her glass of wine, "He's been having dinners with us for so long so to have him say he has changed his mind is flabbergasting. Did we not do enough? I made sure I was good and I  always fed him!"

"Myeong-eun," Myeong-suk spoke in an attempt to neutralize the topic before it could go out of hand, "You shouldn't be too harsh on Jeong-hyeok. There's a saying among us pilots how the winds of change take you to unexpected destinations and it often happens in our line of work." 

But it did little to sway Myeong-eun who was then agitated, "Are you defending Jeong-hyeok now?? Just because he is your friend's son??"

Seo Dan was about to rebuke her mother when Seri spoke up.

"Mmm, the turkey is really good." 

Myeong-eun whirled to their guest. She was cautioned by Seo Dan earlier how picky Seri was with her food. "Do you really think so?"

"I do," Seri dabbed her lips with the table napkin, "I like how the meat is tender, moist and flavorful then the skin nicely crispy, infused with the lemon and herbs. The gravy is a perfect companion. Probably one of the best I've tried."

Her scowl began to disappear, Myeong-eun transformed to that one who had ascended, "Then you must have some more." 

"Ugh. I've eaten so much I could burst." Seri complained in the car with Alberto assigned to drive her home. Her hand on her belly.

"It was a nice save though! I feared Ms. Seo Dan would have walked out and it would be embarrassing for everyone." Alberto remarked.

Seri sighed, facing her side window, "I felt a little bad for Jeong-hyeok."

"Sorry, come again?"

"Nothing." It was none of Seri's business yet she couldn't just sit there and listen to the man being trampled.  

They stayed silent with Alberto playing some 90's music and Seri checking her phone.

"Ms. Yoon, if you don't mind me asking. Do you live alone?" 

Seri raised an eyebrow. "Why do you ask?"

"I've been reading the news about Queens Group in my spare time." The chauffeur explained, "You know what they say, an idle's mind is a devil's workshop... I can't help but think how precarious it must be to be in the middle of two men vying for the position..."

"Tch." Seri turned away, "I was dreading for this topic to come up on the dinner table and grateful that it didn't...I didn't expect it to come from you."

"It is a bit of an unsolicited advice," Alberto admitted, "but as someone who is also employed to look after someone, I hope that you keep watch."