56 - all of their days

January 1, 2020, 1:10 AM
El Senor Dulce, Seoul

Won Ji-hun rose to fame as a member of the band TRICKSHOT that debuted 10 years ago. The group reached international fame with sold-out tours and albums charting in China, Japan and Southeast Asia. In 2018 the band went on hiatus following some members' military enlistment and various solo projects. Ji-hun, the lead-vocalist and the band's resident bad boy, was projected to be the most successful member but had trouble launching his solo career. The following year, he was embroiled in several scandals, the most prominent of which was being linked to businesswoman and fashion mogul Yoon Seri who he was introduced to during an investor's party. The pair raised more than a few eyebrows with articles emphasizing Seri being older (by a year), how the heiress was a serial dater and how the couple was rumored to be entering a sleazy backhanded deal that would help pull up Ji-hun's career. Ji-hun released the single "About You" in 2019 and became one of the representative hits of the year with murmurs that the song was dedicated to the businesswoman.

And at the height of his career and the dawn of a new year, Yoon Seri edged away when he was about to lean in to give his New Year kiss. She then announced her intention to break up. 

Ji-hun laughed it off, this was not the first time Seri proposed to split and they did lay low for a time before getting back together but Seri insisted she was 100% serious that time.

"I made up my mind, there just isn't any time for dating." Seri began, "My company is growing, you're going on  tour and doing rehearsals. You're going to be meeting with other people more due to work and it's embarrassing that I would be seen as an accessory. Then there's the paparazzi and your fans who treat you like their boyfriend. I'm not one of your fans and I won't adjust for you."

"This is about the Rolex watch again, right?" Ji-hun heaved a sigh and squared his arms, tattoos peeking out of his long sleeves, "I told you I gave it away." 

"I didn't tell you to and that was never an issue." Seri contradicted.

"Sure it was, you kept going about who the fans think they were."

"It annoyed me but it was not an issue. I had a lot of thoughts tonight while you were performing for your New Year's Eve show and I decided that this isn't going to work." Seri reached for her goblet of wine.

"You decided?" Ji-hun regarded the bar with an incredulous stare, his eyes rolling up, "And what am I?" He pointed to himself, his finger layered with several rings, "You can't break up tonight. Come on, Seri. It's New Year's Eve."

"I know things were hot between us, but it's troublesome to keep up now." Seri said with an irked expression, "I just want this over and done with and start fresh."

"I hate when you're like this." Ji-hun touched his forehead, simulating a headache. "You're making impulsive decisions again." 

"My impulsive decisions are usually the best ones." Seri said slyly while swirling her wine. For that moment Ji-hun would see the woman wearing a long white knitted dress with a neckline embellished by a gold chain, was no angel.

Ji-hun slammed his hands on the table, "Fuck... is this all a joke to you, Seri?" 

"I told you not to make any expectations from the beginning." Seri was unbothered  as she took a small sip from her glass, "Trust me it's better this way. It was fun while it lasted. Your patience and this wine,  not so much."

January 1, 2020 1:10 AM
Phonecall

"Hi Jeong-hyeok. Happy New Year"

"Happy New Year."

"Where are you?"

"At the hotel. Yourself?"

"I'm just at the office, but getting out early. Joan invited me to her place for New Year's Eve.  I received your Christmas gift by the way. It's a beautiful bag. Thank you."