15 - origin of love

October 31, 2020 
Joo Ok → The Lounge, The Plaza Hotel, Seoul

Seo Dan did not know which was being grilled more: the meat or her and Jeong-hyeok with her mother and his father seemingly taking turns in tossing and turning them on the electric pan.

For herself, she was prepared to explain that they have not really discussed marriage as she was focused on getting her bearings straight in Seoul but her mother had dismissed this as secondary in priority and that they always have consultants on hand.

Jeong-hyeok, who donned a gloomy black suit on grey turtleneck ensemble, only said that he would be taking the matter up privately with Seo Dan, leaving it to his father to assure Myeong-eun that a decision will be made.

After lunch, Seo Dan and Jeong-hyeok sat down at The Lounge. Seo Dan was the first to apologize, "My homecoming should not have been a burden to you."

"It's not your fault." Jeong-hyeok assured, "We knew they were going to press us. But I have something to say."

Seo Dan held her breath, "Yes?"

Jeong-hyeok would tell people that they met as adults, but Seo Dan already knew him from her uncle's birthday party when they were much younger. The Lee brothers were very popular: athletic, dashing and exceedingly charming without even trying hard. The older one was more outgoing and interacted with elders easily, the younger one usually followed behind his brother but was nevertheless cheerful and cordial. They were good across all fields: sports, music and academics. Both aspired to be musicians but their father had already set them on a path to inherit his legacy in the air force. 

Mu-hyeok was glad to take up this mantle and leave the music-playing to Jeong-hyeok, who showed prowess with the piano. The older Lee fulfilled their father's expectations as the responsible son, graduating with honors, sent in different missions — usually relief operations that were close to his heart. The whole time Jeong-hyeok pursued his classical studies and career. It was not quite to their father's liking but through Mu-hyeok and their mother's persuasion, Jeong-hyeok was allowed to be left alone. His only familial responsibility back then was to befriend a woman his father wanted him to marry. 

Jeong-hyeok and Seo Dan were introduced then, a perfect match forged by friendship, military ties and wealth-sharing. To fulfill his father's expectations, Jeong-hyeok met with Seo Dan, going out on dates and traveling together. They were each other's 'plus one' in social functions. It would be a disservice to say that it was purely contractual; they were friends. They had common interests such as music after all. Seo Dan was convinced that marriage would bring them closer and mold him into a more affectionate man yet.

Then Mu-hyeok died in a plane crash.

So did Jeong-hyeok's dreams and aspirations for the future. He was summoned home, his days of dilly-dallying over. He completed his compulsory military service and would have been enrolled in the air force had their mother not begged for her remaining son to steer clear from conflict areas. The closest was to be a commercial pilot.

He still met with Seo Dan but if he was being courteous to her back then, it was beginning to look like a chore now. Seo Dan still liked him well enough, but she had a hunch that Jeong-hyeok had stopped trying.

"I'm not prepared to go into marriage." Jeong-hyeok told her what already was obvious for months and years. What led Jeong-hyeok to confess this now was a mystery. "I have not been a good partner."

Seo Dan nodded, "There were unavoidable circumstances, but now I'm in Seoul it should be easier."

"Seo Dan..." His hands were woven on the table. His eyes still on the wafting steam from the coffee mug he had not touched, but they looked up to her when he said, "I don't think we should continue this."

Seo Dan heard the words, but they had not permeated in her mind completely. Around them, gentle guitar music continued to play, a hatred for lounge tunes that was to begin that day. 

"You are breaking up with me?" Seo Dan said what he couldn't say in plain words.

"I think it's best if we go our own ways," Jeong-hyeok responded. This was the most he had ever spoken to her about his feelings. Almost an insult that the only time he'd be vocal was to sever ties.

"It's funny that you have to arrive at this decision when I'm already here in Seoul, Jeong-hyeok." Seo Dan was never loud about her feelings, never saw the cause to scream. If there was a fire, she would walk to the exit calmly with her chin up. "How long have you been thinking about this?"

How she wished Jeong-hyeok looked at her like that often. Straight without lowering his chin or being distracted by something. "I don't want to disappoint you anymore."  

"Disappoint me?" Seo Dan let out a quick breath, "You know how I'm very lenient on you, Jeong-hyeok. I don't have plans to change this." 

Jeong-hyeok eyed her with narrowed brows.  

"We are not breaking up." Seo Dan decided, "We'll continue meeting like this until you are used to me again and you'll change your mind."

Jeong-hyeok gave a start, "Seo Dan."

"That's my decision." Seo Dan cut him off, "You must be saying this because you were overwhelmed by the lunch earlier but Jeong-hyeok I won't let you give up so easily. " She picked up her purse and stood up, leaving him at the table.

November 3, 2020, 9:10 A.M.
Incheon Terminal 2

Park Kwang-beom was thinking what he ought to get for breakfast before their flight when he saw a familiar broad form standing in front of a display case at the Shinsegae Duty Free shop, clad in the navy blue suit uniform and the cap clipped under his arm. It was unusual to see Lee Jeong-hyeok perusing items in a beauty boutique. 

"Captain." Kwang-beom announced his arrival before standing next to the taller man to see the products he was checking, all in standard green boxes. "Seri's Choice?"

"Oh." Caught, Jeong-hyeok stared at Kwang-beom blankly, turning back to the display items, then back at Kwang-beom. "I was just looking for something." He gestured vaguely with a hiker's thumb. It took the captain a moment to defrost completely, eventually side-stepping awkwardly and walking off.

"I hear their products are good." Kwang-beom tried to match Jeong-hyeok's long strides, "Ju-meok bought some for his girlfriend the last time..."

"I see." Jeong-hyeok cleared his throat.

"Is it for someone special?"

"No."

"Wait for me, Captain! Shall we have breakfast together?"