106 - hearts and sol pt. iv

July 17, 2021 5:30 PM
Na Xamena, By the Pool

Seri mindlessly stirred the contents of her juice, the ice clinking against the glass. They left the spa after showering separately, but the complimentary juices and fruit sticks weren't enough to satisfy so they took to the poolside bar.

None of them spoke about the spa. The shower seemed to have dampened any excitement and frivolity shared and they were now at an impasse.

"Two ham croquettes and nacho chips." Jeong-hyeok was pointing out to the order-taking wait staff on the menu, "Do you want ice cream? Seri?"

Seri shook her head, her eyes still on the mini whirlpool she was making of her orange drink.

"That's all." Jeong-hyeok handed over the menu. They were left on their own.

There were a few people at the outdoor pool, including the occasional toddler on the starfish floater, the photographic subject of his gushing parents. The day beds were occupied and filling up by the minute, with guests wanting to stretch out and enjoy the late siesta hours.

Jeong-hyeok observed her as the icebergs of her tangerine sea ceased to be, "Is the drink too sweet for you?"

Seri shook her head, growing disappointed when her swirls yielded less of a tinkling sound.

"Do you need more ice...?"

Seri answered by sipping the drink in the fishbowl glass until it was almost halfway down like water going down the drain.

"No one is chasing you..." Jeong-hyeok reminded.

"What's there to chase?" Seri rolled her eyes, "There's no alcohol."

"We can't have any." Jeong-hyeok reminded.

"I know..." Seri sighed and sat back with her arms folded, tongue clicking. "Such a waste."

"What do you mean? The drink?" He asked.

"Well yes, you can say that." Seri gave a non-committal shrug in her one-shoulder dress.

Jeong-hyeok could tell that his girlfriend was having one of her mood swings, which was trickier than storm clouds to navigate. "Listen, about the spa..."

"It's okay." Seri held her hand up, "Things were getting heated and we were close to each other, you don't have to explain anything..."

"Do you want to see the picture?" Jeong-hyeok asked.

Seri conveniently forgot about that photo, because not only was it an awkward ending after a torrid moment, but Seri was also pretty sure she looked terrible in it with her hair smoothed haphazardly before the camera clicked. But since Jeong-hyeok was asking and maybe she was a bit curious, she scooted her chair next to him so they could look at the portrait and be horrified together.

Jeong-hyeok took out the envelope and pulled out the photo.

They stared at it until Jeong-hyeok made a 'pfft' sound like air escaping a balloon that had Seri cracking up and him in turn.

The picture was a wide-shot photo encompassing the Mediterranean sea and the overreaching cliffs at the top half, and the agitated pool at the bottom half, with two heads resembling floating coconuts smack-dabbed in the middle. They were only pictured from their neck up, wearing a perfunctory smile as a normal pair of tourists in front of a camera would display with the woman in front and the man behind her, his fingertips peeking pebble-like upon her shoulder. The couple was shrouded by their own shadows.

"What is this picture? It's terrible." Jeong-hyeok needed not state the obvious but calling it as it is had Seri guffawing even louder knowing he rarely expressed such a strong opinion.