63 - noraebang redux

One Week Before Flight
Seri's Apartment

Installing a flight tracker was the first of a series of adjustments that Seri had to make. She installed two, to be sure.

Jeong-hyeok was given the fit-to-fly clearance. The first flight he was making after his month-long leave was headed towards London Heathrow Airport. He would fly out the afternoon of the 25th and fly back on the 28th which wasn't a bad arrangement since Jeong-hyeok would be back in the weekend but it would get crazier in the next weeks. He would not be there on her birthday, something Seri already saw coming, and he would not be around his special day either, a twofold blow since it was also Valentine's Day. He promised he would bid better schedules in the future. The system was something Seri was still wrapping her head around.

"How about your off days?" Seri asked as she was copying his schedule at her desk calendar. It was unnecessary given that it was already in her digital planner but she still felt like drawing little things. "You could always crash here...I'm not going anywhere that weekend."

Jeong-hyeok nodded, fiddling with an hourglass decor from her desk. "I'll visit my parents this Sunday."

"I'll send something to them...I'm not a secret anymore anyway." Seri was drawing little hearts though she looked pensively on. "Maybe don't tell your dad about your living arrangements just yet."

"I don't really share that much with my dad anyway." Jeong-hyeok returned the desk decor, "When my off-duty days are on weekdays, I should stay in the other apartment. I shouldn't disturb you too much."

"No, you're not disturbing me...I won't mind if you stay here either." Seri drew a little plane flying on her desk calendar with a dotted arrow from the 25th all the way to the 28th where she drew a smiley face and wrote the word 'return!' "Put this place into good use."

Heeding her insistence, Jeong-hyeok moved more of his belongings into her apartment during the week before his flight. He had a couple of uniforms hanging in the guest closet, his black carry-on luggage rested against it. Seri started calling it 'his room' at some point. There was also some satisfaction in finding his devices and battery packs hooked to the wall sockets as he worked on his laptop in the living room with his legs crossed, coffee mug on the low table. Her shelves and cupboards had never been stuffed with so much food and ingredients, Jeong-hyeok took care of it all.

For a couple of days she would experience coming home to someone cooking. The smell was enough to drive her exhaustion away that she would drop her bags to wrap her arms around the cook's waist who would be stirring some stew, something hot to chase away the winter blues and office desk fatigues. 

Over dinner he would listen to her talk about work like it was the most fascinating thing. The astronomic currencies she kept dropping were something that he found stunning. But afterwards, she made a conscious effort not to talk so much about money.

 But afterwards, she made a conscious effort not to talk so much about money

January 22, 2021 7:30 PM  
Luxury Su Noraebang, Hongdae, Seoul

Friday, their often postponed meet-up with Jeong-hyeok's friends was finally pushing through with a bit of alteration. They were meeting at the karaoke bar instead of inviting his friends to the Gangnam apartment as Seri earlier suggested, even if she could afford to buy a whole new sound system just for that purpose. Seri thought he must be feeling shy because of their new housing setup but Jeong-hyeok insisted it wasn't that. Jeong-hyeok fetched her after work, so her flashy red 4WD wouldn't be seen parking at what was probably the most iconic and gaudiest noraebang joint in the city.