96 - queen of queens

June 11, 2021, 3:56 PMLee Family Residence

Lee Family Residence

The buttons were fastened one by one to his neck in a well-worn routine he has mastered for almost five years. Wearing the uniform brought him a sense of calm and purpose with the way it was the predictable configuration of shirt and necktie. He only changed the shirt when it got old or he got promoted, the stripes on his shoulder growing from one to four. Regardless, it was the same number of buttons, the same crisp white appearance.

A gentle knock on his door interrupted him before he laced his necktie around his neck.

"Ooh, the captain is getting ready." His girlfriend, unlike him, had time reserved for choosing an outfit in her dizzying wardrobe room. It was still a mystery how the fashion CEO would manage to whip up a different outfit everyday. But they often did not dress together for work, either she was at the office when he was leaving or he was flying very early while she was still in her pajamas going to bed.

Like everything in his life, she changed his routine in her own subtle way. She would volunteer to take the cream-colored necktie from his hand just so she could do it. The first time, he insisted he could do it but she would make a fuss about it so he would let her.

No one had ever tied his necktie, save from his brother back when he was little. Jeong-hyeok soon came to look forward to his lover's interventions, especially as she had a knack with knots.

"You're really good at this." He told her one time as she was looping the tie around his neck.

"Of course. I've done this a lot."

"With...?"

"With myself." His girlfriend would smirk, "Don't be jealous, captain. You forget I work with clothes. I know how to do several knots if you want a fancy one."

And when it's done she would admire her handiwork with a tug of his collars, and smoothing down his shirt, declaring "All done." Then she would admire his appearance in the mirror with pride beaming on her face like she invented the look.

The pilot became used to taking advantage of their closeness then, a hand pulling her waist close or maybe a kiss of thanks on her forehead, resulting in a revised routine that included a goodbye rite to his lover and a promise he would be back. It became a good luck charm of sorts.