Chapter Twenty Nine

I woke up feeling not so comforted, neither mentally nor physically. The amount of alcohol I consumed the night before was giving me the hell of a hangover. Great! I succeeded in experiencing at least that. If that's how it feels, then why do people even get drunk. I stretched my stiff limbs and adjusted to the burning rays of the sun. It was already noon, not surprising for me at all.

Leah wasn't next to me when I woke up, neither was the mess on her side. She must have woken up before me and cleaned up the room. I decided to check up on her, but the massive headache made me drop my head back on the pillow.

Once again, I got blasted with the memories of a freaky Saturday night. Suddenly I had an urge to hide back under the blanket and stay there for as long as I could. Unfortunately, my bladder was giving up on me.

I pulled my sore body off the bed, still holding on to my pounding head, and searched for my cellphone. If I didn't call home, my mom would surely pay me a visit by evening. The morning was already lost, and I had to work on my novel. 'I should have never let myself into all the distraction in the first place,' the voice in my head cursed me.

Dialing in my mom's number, I waited for her to answer. In the meantime, I grabbed my towel from the chair and collected my toiletries while the line kept ringing on the other side before it went off. I figured she must be busy and decided to give her a call after taking a shower.

While I walked down the empty hallway, there was one thought running in my mind- what if Jake doesn't remember about last night? What if he was messing around? But then his voice rang in my head, "I will wait for your answer." I quickly pushed my obnoxious thoughts away and rushed towards the bathroom. I needed a warm shower to calm down my agitation.

By the time I finished the much-needed warm bath, I felt a little relaxed. The unsettling consequences of my careless actions were still there, but the hangover was dispersing out. It wasn't the first time someone had asked me out. Though I wasn't attractive, super sexy, or drop-dead gorgeous, I wasn't without my charms either. I had my decent share of proposals from boys, and some of them were even too handsome to reject. But I had to let them go anyway. I wasn't waiting for my prince charming per se. It was just that I didn't have the time or interest to give them romantic attention, or maybe I was just a coward for love.

I had seen my friends falling in love and then falling out of love. And the process wasn't always beautiful to see. It felt so vague to have that drama in my life. I had teenage crushes, but once I transformed them into my stories, they faded into nothing. That was the ultimate excuse for me not to be in a relationship. What if I turn them into my fantasy too? And what if once I weave them into my words, the love is gone? I didn't want to break someone's heart. I wasn't selfish yet.

Shaking away the whirlpool of different thoughts, I pushed open the door to my room. I see Leah sitting on her bed with her headphones on. She looked bright, humming to whatever music she was listening to, and looked happy. Leah gave me an enthusiastic smile the moment I made my way inside the room. Unplugging the headphones, she rushed my way and engulfed me in a warm embrace. Somehow, it gave me comfort in ways I didn't know I needed.

"Thank you so much, Amy, for being there. I wasn't myself yesterday, and I needed a friend," she said with the sweetest smile though her eyes still looked tired.

"You don't have to thank me, that's what friends are for," I pat her shoulder reassuringly with a smile and detach myself from her embrace. "Do you want to talk about it?" I asked while both of us walked towards my bed.

"There's nothing to talk about it. I was angry and sad for no reason. I overreacted to the whole thing and being stupid. But I'm fine now," Leah sighed, and I saw a hint of sadness in her eyes. Why she had to feel that way for Jake? I never got the obsession she had for someone who treated her like nothing.