Chapter Twenty Four

Chaos, everything turned sour the moment I made that decision to get drunk at a party full of hormonal jocks. I made a move and had me into a situation I wasn't looking for at all. Everything happened so fast that my fuzzy mind couldn't put them in a proper sequence. All I could grasp was a strong smell of musky cologne that hit my nose and then a loud sound of someone's back hitting the wall beside me.

"What's your problem, man?" Chris slurred, holding his jaw, but the answer came as another punch that landed on his shin. A second later, he was pushed against the wall by a livid Jake who fisted his collar so tightly that his knuckles turned white. I could see how his jaws tightened, and his angry side profile gave me chills. I leaned against the counter for support because the room wouldn't stop spinning for whatever the goddamn reason.

"You stay away from her, do you get me?" Jake growled, giving him another kick, still not releasing him. The poor guy started coughing blood, but for good reasons, I felt satisfied. How dared he force himself on me? No one had done that to me before. I felt like crying but gulped down the knot forming inside my throat. I wasn't a damsel in distress, I repeated again and again in my mind.

A small crowd gathered around us, making me feel more conscious than I already was. People seemed to be cheering like mad as if it was some fun game. But then what could you expect from a drunk crowd who were too wasted to think logically. All the while, Jake wasn't ready to end Chris's suffering, which made me contented, only till it went too brutal.

"Why are you so hyped?" Chirs spoke in a strained voice, trying to release himself from Jake's hold. "Or perhaps, she is one of your girls." he ended that with a nasty smirk on his face.

I cringed at his words. Before I could even react to his words, a series of punches landed on his already bruised face. He was so going to pass out anytime, but before he did, I heard a very familiar voice shout across the gathered crowd.

"What the hell is happening here?" It was Seb, and I couldn't have been more glad. He looked at me, and as if telepathy was a thing, he gave me an apologetic look. I wished to be sober enough to tell him that it wasn't his fault. But I was still pretty much in shock with whatever had happened just within a few minutes.

"I dare you to say that one more time, and I swear to god, you won't be able to touch any girl ever again." Jake's voice turned dark, and that alone was enough to make me feel a little less dizzy. The way his muscles flexed and his veins popped out on his neck made tingles run wild on my skin. That side of Jake was ten times hotter. An angry Jake was a turn-on for me. What was happening to me? It had to be the alcohol. Yes, it was.

Seb rushed over and grabbed ahold of Jake's shoulder, who was still hovering over a half-conscious Chris. "Okay, that's enough, Jake." Seb pulled him away from the beaten-up guy definitely with a lot of effort. Although Seb was pretty built too and almost the same height as Jake, Jake gave him a tough fight. As if on instinct, Jake jerked out of Seb's hold and raised his fist to hit him square on the face, but as soon as their eyes met, he punched the wall instead.

I flinched back due to the impact of his rage. My eyes fell on his bloodied knuckles, and I felt terrible for being the reason for it.

"Take your friend out of my sight if you want him to live," Jake yelled and looked straight into Seb's eyes. "And next time you take a girl on a date, bloody don't leave her astray. Aren't you the gentleman? Then behave like one." I could sense the tension between them, and I saw how Seb's jaw tightened due to his remark.

"You know she's not her, right?" Seb said in a low voice, only for Jake to listen, but I heard that anyway. Seb took ahold of Jake's wounded hand, which Jake harshly pulled away, looking everywhere but Seb.

"You think I don't know that. But hey! that isn't your lookout is it? Why don't you go back to your teammates? They must be missing their captain." He spat and gave a fake chuckle. What were they even talking about exactly? Their cryptic words made me hyperventilate, not just that but a sudden realization that I was the center of attraction for a crazy mob surrounding us. And I hated to be the one. The thought of them whispering about that event in the college hallways while I passed made my stomach churn. So, I was successful in making a fool of myself officially.

I felt the corner of my eyes prickle, and a lone tear fell down my cheek. That place wasn't the best one to break down, and I needed to be alone. Pulling myself together, I walked out of the scene, wobbling. I pushed through the crowd heading towards the front door, and I heard Jake yelling my name. Why couldn't he leave me alone? I somehow managed to reach the exit, but before I could breathe in the fresh air, I felt a grip on my hand.

"What do you want, Jake?" I yelled at him, trying to free my hand. His hold only tightened as he took a step closer. Why was his touch burning my skin?

"Where do you think you are going?" Jake's voice was hoarse. I felt way too sick to think anything else, my stomach felt fuzzy, and my head was pounding.

"I'm going back to my dorm. This party is stale anyway." I made another attempt to free my hand, and he let go of me this time.

He ran his wounded hand through his unruly curls, and I felt an urge to treat his knuckles. It was my fault, anyway.

"And how exactly are you planning to go? You are not going to walk to your dorm in your drunken glory, are you?" He mocked me, and the smirk on his face reminded me how vulnerable I must have looked in front of him a few minutes back. I had an urge to push him or yell at him, but before I could decide what exactly was best suited to wipe out his smirk, the nausea was back. The room started spinning once again, and unconsciously I supported myself on his hands. I felt his hold tightening around my arms as he tried keeping me steady.

"Amy, you okay?" His gentle voice reached my ears faintly, and my vision started blurring until everything turned black.