Chapter Two

"Amelia Swan Henderson! Can you come back to Earth?" My mom yelled from the dorm entrance.

I quickly averted my attention to my parents and Elijah, who were giving me a questioning look. They were far away, so, couldn't see what got me distracted, and I'm thankful for saving me that embarrassment. I gave a last look to the boy who was by now buried in the girl's neck and somehow didn't seem very excited to observe.

The dorm looked the same as any other building inside the campus, newly renovated and very well maintained. At least the building we were going, was in its best condition. A middle-aged woman gave us the keys, and my room number, heaving us inside with a tight-lipped smile. I could sense my nerves getting high just with the thought of living in a new place, and it's not my room, my safe corner where I spent 18 years of my life.

"Thanks for all your help Elijah, but I don't think you are supposed to be in the girl's dorm. We'll take it from here." Mom stopped him at the entrance corridor from where I could see rows of rooms on both sides. It looked cramped up, and never wished to be at a better place in my Eighteen years of life like I did at that very moment.

Elijah gave me a small wave before leaving the dorm as fast as he could not get any more curt responses from mom. My dad gave him an apologetic smile and mouthed a goodbye to him.

"Sweetheart, take care of yourself, and please eat on time. Don't lose any more weight," she said, and I knew she was fighting back her tears. Dad followed us with my trunk while we were carrying one trolley each.

My room was at the end of the corridor. Room no. B01 was supposed to be at the beginning, but it wasn't. Maybe, numbers worked backward there.

"Here we are," I informed, unlocking the door, and frowned, visibly scanning the room. My mother looked highly displeased, and can you blame her. The room was small for her liking (mine too) with two small beds, two equally small desks, and one cupboard, which wasn't very big either. At that very instance, my dad entered with the trunk. He gasped, looking inside the room and then at the amount of luggage we were carrying.

"I guess we should start arranging," he said, rolling up his sleeves. And that's what we three did for the next few hours. I could see the other side of the room, and it gave good girl vibes. Her books were placed neatly on the desk(and they were academic, not even one book, which I could connect with). Her bed was neatly made, with Barbie print bedsheets and a couple of plushies. Great!! I was getting a high schooler for my roommate. All this while this good girl of my roommate wasn't in the room.

By the time we set up my side of the room, the sun was already down. My mom gave a last look, and a pleased smile on her face showed she was satisfied with her work.

"I think we should head back," dad informed, taking a look at his wristwatch. "Do not forget to give us a call daily," he said, giving me a warm hug.

"And do not indulge in unnecessary chaos, remember how much you have worked to get here, don't let anything ruin this opportunity." she gave a kiss on my forehead followed by a not so subtle warning.

I was going to give her assurance, but right at that moment, the door opened, and a girl entered. She gave a timid smile our way and headed towards us. She had long black hair and equally black eyes, and she looked beautiful. But that's not the only observation I had about her, and my first encounter with her wasn't about her, was it?

"Hi," she said hesitantly, sending a small smile towards us. "I'm Leah, Leah Evans."

I couldn't stop myself looking at her face dumbly, trying to process all that happened in a day. I was going to have a very long and sleepless night, writing it all down, I thought.

"Where are your manners?" my mom whisper-yelled at me.

"Amy," I coaxed a nice reply, still trying to organize my mind, which was all over the place.

My mom looked relaxed; maybe, she was happy that I got Leah as my roommate. I couldn't say the same, though. Only if she knew or more appropriately put 'Only if she saw what I saw' she would have panicked on another level.

But was I going to tell her? Not exactly.

The first day of my college couldn't have been more eventful.