Chapter Fifty-Two

How do you truly know a person? Maybe it's the little things like their favorite color, songs or movies, the pizza toppings they prefer, or the season they love. Or maybe, it's the more important things in life like dreams, ambitions, or passion. But do you need to ask these things? I think you learn these details as you spend more time with each other.

There were so many things I wanted to know about Jake. Some of them fell in the category of the little things. Of course, I wanted to know about his dreams and passion. But there were other things I wanted to know about him too, like his childhood memories, his high school adventures, the person he loved the most in his life (or maybe I struck off the last one), and how did he get that scar on his forehead that added more details to his charismatic self. It made me realize it's not perfection that attracts you. It's the imperfection about a person that stands them out in the crowd.

We were lying on Jake's car hood, fulfilling his wish to stargaze with him. I had never done that before, not with a handsome tattooed guy lying next to me. But somehow, when he asked after the classes on Friday, I couldn't deny it. It wasn't the stargazing that made butterflies dance inside my belly but the thought that we were doing something unplanned for the first time. The dark sky was sparkling with an expanse of twinkling stars bathing the night with their shimmers. The beauty of the night was too ineffable.

As I counted the stars, the only thing I did want to ask Jake was about his fears. I wished to know what darkness consumed his light because something shadowed him, and I needed to know what.

"Isn't it beautiful?" I said, admiring the mesmerizing night sky.

"Yes, it is," he whispered. His voice was as deep as always. Why he had to sound like a piece of jazz music?

I turned my head to his side, and my hazel eyes collided with the black orbs. He wasn't looking at the beauty of the sky; his eyes were on me. His lips lifted upwards in a most gentle smile that reached his eyes too.

"I was talking about the beauty of the night, not me," I scoffed, shifting back to my initial position.

I could still feel his burning eyes on me. "The only beauty at this moment is the one I am admiring right now."

My cheeks heated up, and I didn't dare to face him again. Did he compliment me? He had said that for the first time in all the time we had spent together. The way his eyes darkened every time he glanced towards me was enough for me to understand that I did have an imprint on him. He never had to say those cheesy lines like You look beautiful or God! You are so beautiful. He made me feel those words.

"Are you blushing, Amy?" He laughed, and that made me even more flustered.

"I'm not," I lied, picking on my nails. I could almost picture that smug smirk on Jake's face. I shifted my head a little due to the soreness. We had been in that position for quite some time. My head started to strain due to the hard surface of the car bonnet. As if he sensed my uneasiness, Jake leaned on my side, catching me by surprise. I sucked in a breath as he lifted my head lightly and adjusted his hand underneath it. His strong bicep muscle did the job of a pillow which wasn't so soft, but it did feel more comfortable than before.

"Better?" He asked, lying on his back again.

I released a nervous smile and nodded. It was one of those feelings when you know there was no turning back from thereon. For the next few minutes, we stayed silent, basking in the moonlight and listening to the crickets chirping.

"Can I ask you a question?" I finally decided to break the deafening silence between us.

His eyes were closed, but his fingers were drawing circles on my arm unconsciously. The touch somehow made me feel relaxed, and I couldn't stop asking him one thing that I wanted to know.