Chapter Sixty-One

Jacob

Two Years Earlier

Sitting on an undeniably uncomfortable chair of the art class, I found myself lost once again. Not to forget, a half-naked model sitting across from me was possibly the biggest reason for blocking my creative mind. The ombre red shade at the tip of my paintbrush was laughing at my face. Now you draw her curves right or say goodbye to any art University if only in Paris.

I took a glance at the model peering above my easel. The lady on the elevated dais, in my retrospection, was in her thirties. She had very vibrant energy with that posture she was holding on to for the artists. I genuinely wanted to paint her, but what I was seeking in human anatomy 101 was missing.

"Is she much of a distraction to paint?" Someone hushed from my side. A voice that wasn't one to not force you to take a check. I shook my head and a low laugh formed at the back of my throat. Placing the brush back on the palette, I turned my head to the side, and I wish I had done that earlier.

"On the contrary, it's blocking my artistic mind," I responded in a low voice.

"Aren't you too young for seeking - Anatomy for figure drawing?" The dimples on her cheeks made me smile. She moved her brush on the canvas like she was slicing a piece of cheesecake.

"Yes, indeed I am, but guess what," I paused to look at the model and get the details right. "My dad is a billionaire," I added, sending a wink her way. I picked up a charcoal pencil from the stock and got to work. I don't brag, but I wanted to keep reminding myself that I didn't have to end up like my father.

The great thing about art is its two-fold nature, pretentious and realistic. When you are unable to dig into the emotions, you go for the techniques. That's what the art classes across the world teach you.

I wasn't fazed by her words nor attracted to her round, chiseled face and dimples that strived to mesmerize me. It happened when she looked at me with those green hazel eyes, the one that invoked every fiber of my body. They instantly made me aware of creativity bubbling in my mind and the colors coursing through my veins. At that moment, I knew what I was seeking.

How did I not know, the most enthralling part of the Human body is the eyes. Eyes are the doorway to our soul. They are the ocean of our secrets, the pandora of our painful memories, and light to our darkness. But why was it only her eyes that reached the depth of my mind, heart, and soul? As they say, every artist needs a Muse, and I might have just found mine in her eyes.

Vanessa, she said, her name was Vanessa.

"Jacob," I said, concealing the excitement in my voice.

"Nice to meet you, Jacob," she spelled my name with a smile. I captured the sparks in her hazel eyes as something that was burning me with passion.

Vanessa, I want to paint your eyes. The voices clawed at my mind, vibrated in the hollows of my bones, and crawled on my skin.

The thirty minutes of that pose was over, and the model on the dais had already covered herself. Vanessa didn't look at me after that because her painting was ready to be signed. I looked at my blank canvas although, it still had the model's sketch. But it didn't have the art I wanted to create. A smile appeared on my lips with the hope that it wasn't going to remain blank anymore.

I had been staring at her, and she didn't miss it. We walked out of the class together. I was still not leaving any chance to take a deeper look into her eyes while she tried figuring out my ulterior motives.

"You know that I'm older than you, right?" She asked as we stepped outside the building.

Age was the last thing that mattered to me. I wasn't going to ask her to be my girlfriend or something. It wasn't my intention. She got it wrong and then realized a moment after dotting my confused expression.

'Don't be embarrassed,' I said in my mind, and she recovered, quickly diverting her attention towards the exit gate.

I asked her if she wanted me to drop her home. She denied.

"My brother is picking me up," she specified with a half-smile. She was still embarrassed and somewhat disappointed, my theory. "But I will see you in the next class."

That was a relief because I wouldn't want to lose my Muse on the same day we met. I nodded as she walked ahead of me.

'Vanessa, I want to paint your eyes,' I spoke through my eyes as she turned back. If only she could see through my black orbs as I could through her Hazel eyes.