Chapter Fifty-Three

Leah was on the bed with her laptop, probably Netflixing. Was she binge-watching 'Vampire Diaries' again? With all the empty chocolate wrappers scattered on the floor and the cookie crumbs all over her bed, she looked adorable. I caught her attention as I slid my laptop bag off my shoulder. It landed with a thud on the floor near my desk.

"Were you out with Seb?"

"Why do you always think that I'm out with him?" I frowned. It was still a sore topic between us. She always had to pair me up with Seb, and I couldn't just tell on her face that it was Jake. Maybe, I shouldn't care about everyone and be honest with them. But who was I kidding? I was indeed a coward. I couldn't say 'no' to people without feeling bad about it, and it was my roommate. "It wasn't Seb. I went out to grab a cup of coffee after the class and ended up grabbing a dinner too."

"Oh!" She bought my lie for the time being, and I felt the black cloud of guilt surrounding my head. "Hey, I met your mom the other day, and girl! Was she scary! I had to run out of the room to avoid her glaring."

So, I was right. My mom did scare her off. We didn't get time to interact after my mom's visit. She had been spending more time in other's rooms than her own, and also, our timetables were very different. When I woke up, she was already off to the class, and by the time I was back, she would be off to someone else's room. We hardly got any time to spend together. She wasn't the one to blame. Even when we were in the same room, I preferred writing to listening to the campus gossip. It wasn't my thing.

"Yeah, my mom could be a handful sometimes." I gave her a knowing look while pulling out my fuzzy pajama from the closet. The shirt on me still had a mild scent of Jake's cologne, making me smile unconsciously.

"Why are you smiling like a lovesick person?" Leah's voice startled me, and I quickly closet the dresser. To escape her questions, it was better if I hit the shower as soon as possible. I always did that whenever she started something that related to Jake.

"No, I'm not," I replied flatly, avoiding her eyes.

"You know your mom asked me if you are seeing someone in the college." She said, and I snapped my head so fast in her direction that my neck sprained. "Even though I tried convincing her that you are not, she wouldn't leave the topic, and in nervousness I..."

"What did you tell her?" I held the clothes in my hands so tightly that my knuckles turned white.

"I told her that you are seeing Seb," she spoke out in one breath and chuckled nervously.

She didn't just share the wrong information with my mom? What was her obsession with Seb and me? That pissed me off.

I squeezed my eyes shut and counted up to ten in my head. "Why would you say that to my mom? I have told you so many times, Seb is a good friend of mine, and that's it." I tried to be as calm as possible.

"Are you blind or dumb, Amy? What's wrong with being more than friends with him. He is hot as hell and a senior. And besides, you both have been spending so much time together. I don't see a reason why you shouldn't date him. Or perhaps you are hiding something from me. Are you already seeing someone else?" Her eyes widened as she said the last part.

It was too soon for her to find out, and I couldn't risk it not until she was over Jake. Yes, that's what my theory was. If Jake didn't pay her any attention and she didn't encounter him much, her crush on him would surely dim out. And once I was sure that the truth wouldn't cause much damage to her, I would try to tell her the truth in the most non-hurting way possible. I know it was selfish of me to do that to her, but I wanted to be selfish for once.

"I'm not dating anyone right now and not planning to do it anytime soon. I know Seb is hot n all, and I admire him a lot but only as a friend. Can we not talk about it more, please?" I pleaded and squeezed her shoulder. I knew it was so wrong not to tell her the truth, and if she ever found it out, it would be a disaster. I could sense the dismay settling in my stomach.