Chapter Thirty-Nine

I walked to my room feeling a little disappointed. It felt like I was moving in the wrong direction. Even though a moment before, I wanted nothing more than to lock myself up in my room, but when I was finally back, it felt rather dispiriting. I wondered if it was a mutual feeling or I was the only one being delusional. Probably the latter one. A scornful smile appeared on my face as I touched the fabric of Jake's hoodie. "Silly girl! You were supposed to feel nothing," I reminded myself and shook my head.

Closing the door after me, I turned around only to be startled by a known figure in my room. As soon as my eyes fell on Leah sprawled on her bed, a sudden wave of guilt hit me. She looked up at me and paused whatever she was watching on the laptop. I had to avoid eye contact with her as I walked towards my bed.

"Amy, you're back," she announced, sitting cross-legged on her bed. I flashed a smile in her direction. She was her sweet self, and it somehow made me feel like the bad guy. I could never tell her the details about my time with Jake if I wanted us to stay as roommates.

"So, you and Seb are getting along together," She said enthusiastically. Her words made me look at her with a frown. Me and Seb?

"What no! we're just friends," I corrected her, trying to clear her premonitions. "Moreover, he is a senior. He may as well be a taken guy."

"It doesn't look like that to me. Didn't you just come from a date with Seb? And looking at you, I can tell- you all are getting closer." She teased, pointing at the hoodie I was wearing. I followed her eyes and cursed myself mentally. Of course, she would know it was a guy's hoodie. She thought it was Seb's, which was great since I didn't have to lie to her.

"I should take a shower," I changed the topic walking towards my dresser. A hot shower could relax all my pent-up tension and uneasiness. Grabbing a pair of pajamas, I rushed out of the room. I could hear Leah's chuckles through the corridor. It was better to let Leah have her assumptions about my date. Was it a date?

By the time I showered and returned to my room, Leah was already asleep. My eyes fell on her peaceful sleeping face, and I took a deep sigh. I did not want to hurt her or cause her any disappointment. But when I shifted my gaze towards the typewriter, I realized there was no way I could back out from what I had already started.

Feeling a little annoyed with all the different conflicts in my head, I fell back on my bed. To put my nerves at ease, I unknowingly took a whiff of the familiar scent I had come to like a lot. Yes, I ended up wearing Jake's hoodie to sleep. I didn't know why but it felt so comforting.

The next day I woke up late but with a fresh mind. I was feeling high-spirited. It was a Saturday, which meant no rushing out for the classes. I could dedicate my day to my liking. Leah left me a note that she was going out with the girls.

After finishing up my lunch, I gave a quick call to my mom. It ended for an hour with her taking all the details of my weekly activities. I told her everything except Jake, of course. By the end of the call, I had to assure her- I would stay away from all the unnecessary chaos. As if I wasn't already entangled. A bitter taste appeared on my lips as I lied to her.

I sat against the headboard with my laptop, and Jake's smile appeared before my eyes. The way his tattooed body glistered under the sunlight and the way his ink-black eyes sparkled with so much energy, images of them made my lips curl up subconsciously. My head exploded with multiple thoughts and imaginations, so I decided to pour them into my words. The more I spent time with Jake, the more I was able to write. At least there was something worth getting along with him. Or was it more than that?

Spending most of the afternoon in writing, I decided to take a quick nap and then continue. I stretched my sore limbs, and my eyes felt too heavy to keep them open. I put the laptop aside, making myself comfortable on my soft bed. Although before I could even pull up the comforter, a knock made me halt midway. I rubbed my face and groaned, feeling irritated. Leah seriously had the worst timing.