Chapter Thirty

Mondays are never enjoyable. Although I particularly don't have much problem with them. But that day was something I wasn't very thrilled about at all. If it isn't obvious: I was not very happy with the idea of bumping into a noodlehead. Yes, I gave him a funny name. To escape him, I went early to the class and settled in the farthest corner of the room. And for extra precaution, I had put on my oversized hoodie, making sure to keep the hood always on. The guy beside me gave me a questioning look as if I was out of this world. I raised an eyebrow and returned his gaze. He quickly averted his attention to the front.

The lecture started smoothly, and to my relief, Jake didn't attend the first class. I was hoping he didn't show up for the next ones as well. But when did any of my hopes were ever fulfilled? He was already seated for the Mathematics. I pulled my hood a little more and walked behind the tall guy entering the room. Not be seen, I quickly rushed towards the corner of the room.

The moment I reached my desired place, I took a sigh of relief. I kept taking precautionary glances in between to make check I wasn't exposed. Though I was sure- Jake didn't notice me, the smirk on his lips, which I could very much make out through his side profile, was telling another story.

I was amazed by how Jake worked with the numbers like a mathematician. Not just that, he solved all the equations before anyone else could do(even the dark blue suit-clad person against the projector couldn't beat his speed). That jerk was something. And that smug smile on his face showed how much he was enjoying putting the nerds at edge. I took a glance at Elijah, who had his head inside the notebook. The way he shifted in his seat and kept giving Jake anxious looks showed how much he wanted to get at least one problem done before Jake. I, on the other hand, didn't have any interest in competing with the jerk. All I wanted was to get done with the lecture and avoid Jake at all costs.

"We'll start with the Statistics in the next class, and I want others also to participate like Mr. Jake here," the professor announced, giving a sour look towards the rest of us. I saw Jake scoffing at his words. The guy was a little fast with numbers. So what! I could have done the same if I wasn't a literature person. And mathematics didn't give me creeps.

The students started dispersing once the lecture ended. I made my way towards the back exit until Elijah's voice startled me. Shit! What if Jake was still in the room. I pulled my hood some more before giving a panicked look at Elijah, who by then was beside me.

"God Elijah, keep it down," I whisper yelled at him, checking subtly to see if Jake was around. Thank god! he wasn't. I started taking quick steps just in case he was behind us.

"What's up with this 'Black Hood' look?" he asked in a low voice wiggling his eyebrows.

"Nothing. Wanted to try something new." I gave him a nervous chuckle. Why was I nervous?

"Weird," we reached the cafeteria, and I quickly took one of the corner seats making sure the place was well out of sight.

"Okay, please tell me what's going on. You don't look good." Elijah took a seat on the opposite side.

"Fine, I'm trying to avoid someone." I sighed.

He gave me a confused look before something turned him pale. I frowned, following his gaze, and I wish I didn't do that. He was looking at Liz and Leah, who were seated behind us. She was grinning at him and throwing flying kisses. Elijah widened his eyes and gave me a sheepish look. Leah waved at me, smiling, and I returned the smile. I laughed at his flustered state before turning my head back at Liz, and hell broke. My eyes locked with Jake, who turned smirking at the same time. He was sitting behind me all that time. Well! I cursed my entire existence.

I was frustrated and tired of that guy; I wanted to rip that smirk off his face. Why couldn't he disappear from my life? No, I couldn't let that happen. After all, I still needed him in my words. But at least he could stay out of my life. I was so occupied with my mind blabbering that I didn't notice we were still looking at each other. The smirk on his face enraged me, and I shot a deadly glare at him before running out of the cafeteria.