Chapter Forty-Three

We are two strange beings of a similar nature, yet there is nothing common that we both share. We meet at the horizon of departure and arrival of one another, winning and losing together. And there is none to blame as we knew from the beginning- what we were to lose and what we were to gain.

The warmth around me was missing, and so was the soft feeling on my skin. A faint scribbling sound tickled my ears, pulling me back from oblivion. I cracked open my eyes, squinting it few times, adjusting to the light coming from the other side of the bed. However, they suddenly gained full consciousness as my gaze landed on the charming guy sitting against the headboard.

Jake's young features were glowing against the bright light coming from the bedside lamp. It was already dark outside, and the only source of illumination centered around him. His half-naked tatted torso, his knitted eyebrows, and the way his eyes focused on the sketchbook made him look like nothing less than a Greek god. The unruly black curls falling on his forehead made him too irresistible to look away. So, I didn't.

There was so much passion in his black orbs as he concentrated on whatever he was sketching. I had never seen an artist quite like him. My eyes stayed on the pencil in his hand, dancing on the paper at his control. A small smile ghosted on my lips just by looking at the entirely new side of him. So lost in his graceful lovemaking on the paper that I couldn't notice when he stopped. To save me from the embarrassment, I quickly closed my eyes before he could meet them.

A few minutes went by with me keeping my eyes squeezed in and waiting for him to continue. Although, the scribbling was not heard again nor any other sound. My heart picked up its pace in anticipation. I was breathless once again, pretending to be asleep although, the sight of him a moment ago was too vivid to forget. I sensed a dip on the bed followed by a shuffling sound. And what turned my lips dry was how close that sounded.

Not a moment later, his musky smell filled my nostrils, and I could feel the familiar warmth next to me. At that moment, I had two options. One, open my eyes and monitor his actions. Two, keep pretending to be asleep and wait for whatever was to befell next. I settled for the latter.

I could sense his burning presence beside me. The heat radiating from him was enough indication. His warm breath was fanning over my face, making me shudder a little with the tingles they set loose. He was so close that I could hear the raggedness of his heartbeat. My lips were painfully dry, but before I could swipe my tongue over them, Jake traced them lightly with his thumb.

I nearly forgot how to breathe.

His fingers, busy sketching a few minutes before, drew painful electrifying patterns on my exposed arm. I bet he could feel the goosebumps he left in the wake of his touch. I suppressed a strangled whimper that threatened to come. While his fingers grazed the goosebumps on my skin, his minty breath turned me breathless. I could sense his face just a hair away from mine, his lips almost touching mine.

"Amy, quit pretending, or I will kiss you." He whispered, letting the heat from his uneven breathing dance on my lips.

It took me a good ten seconds to recover from the torture of his touches and register his words. 'Fucking tease!' I cursed him mentally, gritting my teeth.

My eyes snapped open to meet his intense black orbs boring at me. He was leaning his weight on the other hand, and a lazy smirk adorned his lips. I glared at him giving his rock-hard shoulders a strong push. Even though my strength was nothing compared to him, he still fell on his back and bit his lips, trying to suppress the laughter.

"What's so funny?" I sneered at him, a little breathless from the tension before.

He gave me a side look and chuckled, placing one of his tattooed hands under his head.