Chapter Twenty Two

"Is Elijah picking you up? If not, then we both can go together with the girls," Leah zipped up her makeup pouch, tossing it on the bed which, already had heaps of tried-out outfits. She pumped up her messy curls and was finally ready to leave. I guessed, by girls, Leah meant the Mitchell sisters next door. They were the typical party girls, and somehow Leah made herself acquainted with them, skills she honed as a social butterfly. "Sophie's gonna pick us."

"I'm going with Sebastian, but thanks for the offer. Maybe next time, I will tag along with you girls." I responded with a smile, slipping on a pair of black converse. As she mentioned Elijah, I wondered whether he was also going to the party. We hadn't talked for a while since Liz hardly left his side the whole week. I made a quick mental note to check on him later.

"Are you guys dating already?" asked with raised eyebrows, a grin adorning her doll-like face.

I rolled my eyes. "Nope, I just met him today at the cafe, and I think it's too early to go with him to the party. But I'm doing it for my selfish reasons."

"Will you date him?" she was not giving up on setting me up for a date.

"We'll see about that, but for now, can we leave already. I want to be back by midnight." I sighed, gesturing for her to head out.

"Fine." she flashed a smile and grabbed her clutch before heading out of the room. I followed after her locking the room and taking a deep. I was going to the same place and wished to rectify my utter failure of last time. I had no intention of being a stuck-up girl, sulking in her dorm room all by herself. I needed to socialize so, what if I had to endure being in some party way out of my league.

I met Sebastian outside the dorm leaning against his car. He was in slim-fit black jeans, which outlined his muscular thighs well, and a simple crew neck white t-shirt. The denim jacket added that extra boyish charm, making him look like a full course meal for the girls.

"Amy!" he greeted me, taking in my look subtly. "You look great."

"So do you," I responded. I was confident with my choice of clothing. So, I smiled as I settled on the passenger seat. "Aren't you the captain of the soccer team? You should have been there with your team, not giving me a ride."

"Nah! I wish to skip it, but being the captain comes with shit loads of formalities." He said and rolled his eyes, starting off the engine. I figured all guys are not into fun and parties. Some guys are decent staying out of the drama.

Once again, my vision got blurred due to the flickering party lights inside the frat house. It was almost the same as last time, with a little more crowd. I figured the athletes were the real deals in frat parties. The atmosphere was thick with the smell of sweat and alcohol. Sweaty, wasted people were swaying around the whole place to the beat of the brain-wrecking loud music. My nausea was ready to take over.

"Amy, are you fine?" Seb asked, basically shouting in my ear. I gave him a reassuring nod before heading inside alongside him. We squeezed our way through the crowd, and I appreciated that he had his arms around my shoulder protectively but not touching. I took a quick peek at my cellphone to check how long I would be at that cramped place. It was 8 pm and a long way to go till midnight so that I could finally relax under my comforter.

"Are you sure you don't wanna meet your team members? They probably must be looking for you. And before you make me an excuse, we can meet your friends later. I can check on my friends in the meantime." I assured him with a smile.

"Don't worry about that. I will join my team later. It's not like the guys would miss me or something. After all, it's a party, and I want to introduce it to the people before they get wasted. That would be a bummer."

He explained, leading us to a group whose attention shifted towards us or, more specifically, towards Seb as we reached them. They had red cups in their hands and the way they slurred their greetings, they were at least halfway wasted.

"Captain Seb's here," a guy among the group slurred, giving Seb a bone-crushing hug. Soon a girl with short blonde hair joined him, and two other guys acknowledged his presence. They shared some casual conversation while I stood beside them, scanning the floor. I spotted Elijah sitting with the known group of people, and to my dismay, my gaze locked with one in particular. His dark orbs bored in mine as he gave me a look. Jake decided to be in all black that fine evening and the truth that I had an unhealthy obsession for black wasn't helping either.

Before I lose my mind once again, I quickly shifted my attention towards a cheerful Leah sitting beside him, waving her hands at me wildly. I waved back at her and also to Elijah, who looked like a kicked puppy. Liz was leaning on his shoulder. She also gave me a smile, to which I responded with a meek one.

"Are you still with us, Amy?" Seb's voice pulled my attention towards him.

"Yes," I replied, taking a small step towards the group. They were all looking at me as if I was fresh out of a museum. The guys were as built as Seb with their tall features, and the blonde was also somewhat more in volume than me.

"Hey guys, this is Amy, freshman girl I told you about," he informed them, and they nodded.

"Hi, I'm Christan, but you can call me Chris," The guy with a handsome face and equally attractive smile shook hands with me. His hands lingered on my skin a little too much, but I excused him for this once.

"I'm Rose, and this is my boyfriend Dan," I averted my attention to the other two people who also shook hands with me with a smile, and they were giving me comfortable vibes.

"Seb told me you wanna join the lit club. Are you an English major?" Rose asked, offering me a red cup, which I refused gently. I decided against drinking anything apart from lemonade.

"A minor, actually, but I have a passion for writing," I told her with a smile.

"Cool, I would love to read some of your work. I am the secretary for College magazine, Dan works on the publishing side, and my friend Chris manages the photographs."

"Oh great, I hope to fill up a column in the magazine," I said dreamily. For the first time, I would be writing something without hiding my true identity.

"You can come to the club from next week, " she said, patting my shoulder. If only they knew about me and my novels. I was sure they would be the ones coming to me, but fate works in weird ways. Seb gave me a reassuring smile, and I felt at ease.

"Now, let's enjoy the party. We can talk about literature some other day," Chris shouted through the loud music that went wild all of a sudden. The three of them headed towards the dance floor.

"Should I get you a drink? Non-alcoholic obviously," Seb asked.

"Yes, I..." I started, but before I could finish, a guy came to his side and whispered something in his ear. He suddenly seemed interested in the information he just got.

"Amy, will you be fine if I leave you for a few minutes? Go to the kitchen and grab yourself a drink. I will be back." he whispered in my ear, and his face was nearly touching my skin. There was something else that I caught through the corner of my eyes. Someone's gaze was boring holes into my skin. I was trying to ignore it, but it was nearly impossible. How could no one else notice the way he looked at me?

I snapped my head in his direction, but his gaze was unwavering. Was he trying to get under my skin? Or was he trying to intimidate me?

If he wanted to play the game, I was willing to see how far it could go.